This is a two-week letter.
Monday October 16th Tom drove me to Little
Rock and I caught a flight to my Writer’s conference. The flight was pretty
uneventful… which is a good thing. I had a close connection, so I really
hustled from one side of the Atlanta airport to the other. It was with great
sadness that I had to rush past Five Guys without stopping for a burger.
Then for the first time I tried Uber. It was a little
confusing. For some reason, they called an Uber LX, which was larger and more
expensive. I asked the guy what to do… and he grumbled just a little bit and
said he’d take me for the lower fare. So I gave him a nice tip.
My sweet brother Steve used his Marriott Gold status
to get me concierge status. So I could go to the concierge lounge for breakfast
and a light supper… and chocolate chip cookies. (but they weren’t as good as
Tom’s.)
Tuesday, I had a pre-conference women’s event from 9am
to 5pm. It was very insightful and on personal growth as much as how to
copywrite.
I had an article I wanted to get done for a new
client. She seemed pretty demanding and a little condescending, but I thought
I’d give her another article and another effort to see if thing might improve.
I worked on that on and off, and had some of my copywriting friends critique
it.
My roommate was from San Diego and a very easy person
to room with. She takes her church- The Christian Scientists- to the Marine
recruits at San Diego and loves it! So we had that in common as Tom and I had
done that at Ft. Benning.
The conference was excellent as usual. It was fun to
see so many friends there and see people that were beginning when I first came
now moving up and gaining prestigious awards. I had lunch with a writer there
for the first time- a nice young girl—maybe early 20’s and her sister, a
graphic artist. It was delightful to see her win a spec challenge the next day! I ran across Clayton Makepeace several times (see photo below) and he graciously gave me some advice on the promo I'm working on.
I was supposed to meet with Wayne from Eagle
Publishing. I’d worked with him on a little project years ago. And at that
time, he was only interested in long form sales letters. I decided I really
don’t like doing those. So I wasn’t sure we’d have much to talk about. But I
finally met up with him at Job Fair and he was eager to have me work on some
reports, follow-ups and other shorter pieces! Several other job fair booths
also seemed interested. I sent out samples and we’ll see where it goes.
It rained off and on while I was there. It didn’t much
matter because I was staying in the hotel where the event was. However one
morning I decided to go to the beach for the 7am meditation. As I stepped on
the beach I felt a few scattered drops. As we began, the drizzle increased to a
gentle rain. At first I was thinking, “Oh, I’m one with nature. I can enjoy the
rain.” But the rain didn’t let up. It increased. I finally decided I was not
meditating, I was thinking about getting wet! I picked up my mat and headed
back to the hotel, walking through the lobby looking like a drowned rat.
Fortunately, I had not worn clothes I planned to wear to the meetings. A little
blow drying, and I was ready for the day. this is the beach view from my window.
Saturday, I caught a direct flight from Florida to
LAX. I was one tired puppy by then. Up too late talking, up too early to get to
all the sessions. (Actually, this year I skipped all the 7AM sessions and just started
with the 8am ones.) The evening sessions finished about 9pm. So they were LONG
days! Which led to sleeping most of the five hours on the airplane.
Sally picked me up. And rested from my nap, I stayed
up and visited with her and Steve, far to late. We went to their church on
Sunday. Steve English had recently been released from being bishop, so he and
Sally were able to sit together. We stopped at the mortuary to look at Uncle
Otto Walter’s old desk. It’s a great piece of furniture!
In the afternoon,
we drove down to Mom’s. Cynthia and Jim came over and we had a great dinner. I love my family!
Mom had been feeling really tired and puny the week or
so before I arrived. She seems to be gaining energy. But it may be an illusion.
Perhaps she will crash after I leave. I try not to tire her out, but it’s a
balance between asking what she needs and being respectful of her decisions to
be as independent as possible.
Most of the week, I’ve been getting up about 5:30 and
working for a few hours until Mom gets up. She decided to have her aids come
even while I was here, so I got to meet Vicky and Maria. I can understand why
Mom likes Vicky better. She seems to keep busy and is more pro-active. Maria
waits to be instructed. I think perhaps she’s afraid of doing something wrong.
Monday night I went with Cynthia and Jim to the
California Club activity. Cynthia is president this year. It’s a fun group of
people who like to dance and eat. This time we had lobster and we also had
Elvis come to entertain us. He had good moves and a nice voice on the slower
songs. People dressed up—sort of a fancy Halloween theme. I wore black pants
and a spangly top. And Cynthia completed my attire with a “BOO” headband. Of course we needed a photo with Elvis. Note Cynthia's cute wich hat.
Tuesday, we went and got Mom’s hair cut. Wednesday we
went to look at fabric and see if a place could fix the saggy chair. We also
checked out microwaves, since mom needs a new, quieter one. Then we needed to
see about installation. So she called her handyman Dave. He quoted an
outrageous price for the combination of chair fixing and microwave installation:
$1150. And he wouldn’t break them apart. So I googled upholstery and furniture repair
and found a place in Santa Ana. They said they thought the chair could be fixed
without needing to be reupholstered.
Thursday Cynthia came over and we hoisted the chair
into the car and drove to Santa Ana. The guy was very nice. He thought it could
be fixed for $50, no upholstery needed. Could we pick it up tomorrow?
Friday I went to the temple. It was lovely to be in
the temple. I was able to do on endowment and two initiatory. Then I went to
Santa Ana and picked up the chair. It was firmer. He did a good job. There was
an upholstery fabric store next door to the chair guy… so I had to go in and
take a look. Did I want cow hides to upholster my car seats? Or Naugahyde? Or Ultrasuede?
I did find some lovely fabrics and one I thought would look good on the gold
chair that has deteriorating upholstery. So, I bought it. We’ll see if it will
fit into the suitcase.
I connected with some of the clients I met at bootcamp
and I have an appointment to speak with one on Monday or Tuesday. I also heard
back from the client I’d written an article for saying this article might work,
if I could fix a whole bunch of things. I’ll fix the things, but then I’m
firing her as a client. I sensed too much condescension in her email. I was invited to write a letter to my younger self for the Titanidies group. This was the photo I used with it. Man, I married well. what a cutie!
In the afternoon, Mom and I went shopping at a new
vegetable store… supposedly better than Jordan Market. It was nice. But we didn’t
buy a lot. We made up for that by going out to dinner.
Sunday Sally and Steve came down and we went to church
together. Mom and Cynthia and Jim went to church. Then we met at Cynthia’s
house and Aunt Ruth and her daughter Sherrill and husband Roger joined us for
lunch. It was a Walter Jr. Donop
commemorative meal. We spent time talking about him. Sally brought some of his memorabilia
down and shared it. He had saved every report card. He had the bill from the
hospital stay when he was born. Seven
days: $73.
We had a tasty lunch of salads and cold cuts. Jim made
his famous New York cheese cake for dessert. Afterwards, Sally came back to Mom’s
house and we talked about cryptocurrencies for a while.





No comments:
Post a Comment