Sunday, October 1, 2017

More Nauvoo Planning

I'm trying to get all my ducks lined up for the Nauvoo trip.  One counselor has done an amazing job of organizing the lodging. The other has been working on the schedule for people going to the temple and to the Rendezvous at Old Nauvoo Play. The temple can only accommodate 45 in a session. So it's a little tricky to get 110 into two sessions. But some will do other things... so I hope it will all work out.

I've been organizing the food. I made a list of what we still need to buy. I finished cooking the last of the Taco Salad meat.  I will make the dressing on Tuesday, I think.  Then, I worried if Aldi would have the amounts we need to buy. When we went to get milk at Aldi for the family reunion, they said that we should have come in and prearranged for that amount.  But they don't accept phone calls... so I guess we just have to hope and pray.

Then I've been dealing with the list of food restrictions some of the sisters have. Some don't apply: mushrooms, oranges, etc. Gluten Free, I can handle.  But I have some vegan/no sugar or no sugar/no grain allergies I don't know what to do with.  So I assembled the list, deleted the ones that don't matter, and to the best of my ability organized alternatives to their allergies. For a desert, however, I threw up my hands-- no eggs, sugar, or grain, and vegan?  I would do a apple. But I asked one of the diet restricted sisters if she could come up with a desert for 11 (including the GF/chocolate free/ diabetic sisters.

I got a call from my longtime friend Tanya that she was driving up from Ohio to pick up a miniature baby bull from a place about 2 hours from us. Could she come visit?  Of course!  So we had a lovely visit Monday evening and Tuesday. Then she left early Wednesday. We did some work in the garden while she was here. Tuesday night Tom and the missionaries had an investigator over to the house for a lesson... But Tanya and I stayed out of their way and chatted. :)

Tom had been making a PVC arch for the chicken run and covered it with bird netting to keep the birds in and the varmints out. We helped stretch it some. Then Tom went on to move part of the fencing to make it fit the top arch better.

I also had a business woman connect with me about writing for her about Infinite Banking or the Bank on Yourself. She has some views that are different from those of Becky Rice who I wrote for before. Wednesday we had a long phone call as we learned about each other. We will try each other out and see if we are a good fit. She sent me some past E-Zine articles and I sent her some article ideas on Saturday.  That evening we had the missionaries over for dinner.

Tom's computer has continued to be an issue.  All the excel files come up read only. We took it into the computer guy. He fiddled with the drives. Nope, not fixed.  He reloaded some files, nope, not fixed. We finally think that the Word program is corrupt. Tom can transfer the files to another computer and change them and save them under a new name.  But when he sends them back to his computer, they pop up read only.  You can't save them, you can't copy them, you can't print them. Thursday I took the computer back for another check up.  And Monday we will take it in to have him uninstall and reinstall word. He is a Mac man, and we may go to something like that in the future.

Thursday I wrote out all the instructions for the cooking for the men who will be going to Nauvoo to help out. Tom thought it was understandable enough so that's sent off.  I did some writing, went visiting teaching, and somehow the day was gone.  Oh, I remember.  Our neighbor Ernie has been sick. He was in the hospital for three weeks.  They decided since he had a house, he could not be on Medicaid and sent him home. He was sick as a dog. Barb couldn't see him going to his house. It's pretty filthy, so she had him come to her house. He stayed there for a little over a week, and Wednesday went in for a doctor's appointment. Tom went with Barb and him. The doctor admitted him to the hospital to have him evaluated to go on hospice. I spent Thursday making phone calls because they were going to release him to in-home hospice and Barb was stressed out.

We called the attorney with the documents that said No, Ernie had no financial ownership of the house, only life tenancy. But since the trust had his and his sister's name on it, and it owned the house, the nursing homes said no deal. Hospice house didn't take him. So Barb took him back.  He was pretty weak and confused when Tom picked him up. The hospice nurse thought he wouldn't last the weekend.  But over Friday night he got agitated, more than Barb could handle. So they managed to find a place for him at hospice house. on Saturday morning

Friday I sent off some headlines for my big financial promo. I realized I was afraid of the project and so I was procrastinating.  I think once I get over this initial hump of finding a big idea, a big promise and writing the headline and lead, the rest should be easier. I'm glad I hired someone to help me through this.  It's intimidating. Friday I was busy with the computer and forgot my massage appointment.  I went in late and it was a good, relaxing time.

Saturday we watched general conference in between getting Ernie sent off and dealing with the vulture relatives. Saturday evening I went to a Republican dinner for Baxter County. It was very interesting with Jan Morgan, a fiery gun rights advocate and Mickey Craig from Hillsdale College.  I arranged to go with a friend and found several other people we knew there.  Tom went to the evening Priesthood session of  conference.

Sunday morning Tom got up and started some cinnamon rolls. Then he went to check on a Self Reliance class and on Ernie. We finished making the rolls. Then Tom went to pick up an investigator to watch General Conference. The sister missionaries came over after the first session for cinnamon  rolls and quadrilles. They taught a lesson, and then we watched the second session of conference.  Great talks!  A lot about staying close to the Savior and following his way in spite of adversity.  And that while we might not agree with others, we can be kind and respectful and that we should welcome all and not have divisions.

I have not done as much as I wanted on our missionary application.  That comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment