Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wonderful FALL Weather!


The weather has cooled.  It’s delightful.  Our flowers in front are blooming their hearts out. We had several showers of rain this week.  The garden is still giving beans. It’s a great time to be alive!

This week just seemed to go on.  Nothing spectacular or dramatic.  I guess that can be a good thing.

With the colder weather Tom went out and gathered some deadfall and burned it.  He’d cleaned up in this area before the ice storm, but all the dead branches left up in the tree have gradually made their way to the ground. He had some toasty fires going.  I went out and helped him a little bit one day.  The chiggers nibbled my legs in thanks.  Somehow, that makes me somewhat less willing to venture out again.

I’ve been continuing working on copywriting.  I sent a query on another article for the Barefoot Writer.  The editor said send it in.  I worked on it a while and then sent it to Deborah to copy edit.  She does such a good job!  She not only find the places where I have two spaces instead of one, she gives good suggestions on things that sound confusing or might be phrased better.  Me… I likes this girl.

Friday I went visiting teaching.  One of our sisters is sick in bed. Another is in the hospital.  Mind you they are both nearly 90.  But my companion was speaking about how healthy she and her husband were up until a few years ago and now they have a litany of ailments that have slowed and crippled them. Dang, it sounds unpleasant to get old!

Barbara, our neighbor is trying to get a portion of her garage turned into a little book store. She’s been fixing and painting.  Tom went over a couple weeks ago to put up dry wall and tape it. I volunteered to paint the ceiling.  Saturday we went to get some paint. I think she has a cute vision for a little book store with a boutique of some of her collectables in one corner. I hope it will bring in a little income for her. We talked about shelf design and I think we have a plan.


Our new chickens are doing tolerably well.  They are very skittish.  I tried to put them in early last night as I had the Relief Society broadcast to attend and an ice cream social before it.

Here are the chickens saying, "Monster!  Monster!  Must escape!"
 One silly bird did not want to be herded into the chicken tractor.  She flew over the fence.  By the time I got her back in, the others had ambled out… Phooey!  They just stayed out till I got back home about 8:30.

I took this photo Sunday.  After standing quietly for about 5 minutes they decided maybe they need not huddle together for protection. The are part Americana so they have puffy feathers at their cheeks.  Hmm.. if you ever get close enough to see them.

Saturday Tom left early and took the youth to the temple.  They had 18 youth and 12 adults.  Some of the adults were going with their children.   It was a long day, but they got as many baptisms done as they could in their one hour allotment.  Then they dined at 5 Guys and started their 5 hour trip home. 

They stopped at the orchard.  Tom called.  Will you have time to do 40 lbs of applesauce before we leave to go to your Mom’s?  Sure.

Sunday I taught the Gospel Principles class again.   Tom spoke some in the 3rd hour as Relief Society and Priesthood met together to talk about the value of scripture reading.  We look forward to General Conference next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment