Sunday, September 2, 2012

Writing Missionaries

We have 8 missionaries from Kisumu and Busia out on missions now.  One is in the USA, all the rest are scattered through Africa.  They are remarkably mature and dedicated to the gospel.

I decided I needed to write to them once a week.  In some missions I can send an email.  In others, I need to send the letters via DearElder.com and through the pouch from Salt Lake City.  There is a great section in dearelder.com on dear John letters. You might browse that when you want to feel better about your life.  Some are truly awful.

I asked the missionaries to write back about families or people they are teaching.  Here is a letter from Elder Odunga who left from Busia.  He's been out maybe 6 months.


"Today I will tell you about one of the families am teaching. The family is called the Musiniwa family.This gentle man saw as on a street and came to contact us and requested if we could go and visit him. we made an effort to go and see him that very day. When we came to the house we found him reading the D&C. 

We thought to ourselves that he called us to have a bible bash but we were petiencent and we wanted to hear from him . He the told us that his relative gave him the triple combination in 2010 and he has been waiting for two years somebody who will ever come and explain to him what the Book of Mormon was since his relatives who are the members of the stay far away. The day we met him he had read the whole Book of Mormon and he was about to finish the doctrine and covenants.

He told us before we started teaching him that the Book of Mormon is very true, We the found out that he had a degree in theology and he was a bishop in a certain pentecostal church. Even now he always read the Book of Mormon along with the Bible. He came to church last week with his family and we are now with him to prepare him for baptism. It is a family of four."

Elder Akal wrote:
One of my investigators are baba and mama  Erick.  They are  quite  powerful parents and they  are ready to learn, despite the fact that baba is a priest in Zion church, he believes the book of Mormon and calls it a dictionary of the Bible. But yesterday we made him understand that its another testament of Jesus Christ.  He was  worried about leaving his leadership positions and following the truth or continuing in his faith but the fact that mama has no problem,she is helping him understand that when God closes one door  another one is  always opened. Through this I know that he will come to know of the truth of the gospel  One problem over here is that people are too much to the traditions and they believe mostly in ancestors.    

I love how the Lord touches good people everywhere to help them live better lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment