Sunday, February 2, 2020

February has arrived

Busy week.  I was invited to a church member's home for dinner Monday night and I asked if I could bring a desert, thinking I would make a chocolate cherry cake; as I prepared to make it Sunday afternoon, I discovered, much to my embarrassment, that I was out of cherries! So the first thing Monday I was at the market buying the needed cherries so I could come home and make a cake. Then I went over to the neighbors to haul off some wood to my burn pile.  Attended my grief support group in the afternoon; I am learning more names to go with the faces which is helping me to feel more comfortable with these people and create a good feeling about attending. Then it was off to a wonderful dinner; the elders were invited so there was a total of 10 around the table. Good food, fun conversation and an uplifting FHE. And the cake was great.

Tuesday I kept busy. I had taken the used truck hood and tailgate to get painted and the guy texted me first thing that they were ready and could I drop the truck off so he could install them. Argh! how do I get the truck into town and back home again? I was impressed to call a couple in town and they were willing to help. They met me at the place where the truck was and brought me home. And they suggested someone else who could probably bring me back in the afternoon. And he was able to do so! And the truck looks much better.

Wednesday I was gone by 6 am to go to the St Louis Temple with a good friend. He had not been to the temple for around 40 years (his admission) and felt it was time to go back. I was honored that of all the people he could ask, he invited me to take him. We only did one session and returned home. Due to his medical issues, we did not stay to do more.

Thursday I was on the road again; this time to Russellville and a visit to Andy's family. I arrived in time for lunch. Kera had started tiling the kid's bathroom and so I was able to assist her and we got it done before bedtime. They had previously ripped out the old shower and cabinet, installed a new tub and gotten things ready to tile.

Friday we cleaned the tile, Andy textured areas to match the original walls, we made a trip to Lowes and got the vinyl flooring installed. But that last process involved removing the vanity, which required disconnecting the p-trap and water lines, removing the sink top and finding temporary places to store all those items. These jobs always take longer than anticipated!

Saturday, Kera and Andy grouted the tile and Aaron primed the walls. Once they were dry, Kera and I painted the walls. Then we installed the new toilet, only to find out that the replacement shut off valve purchased previous day, was not correct. That entailed a trip to the local hardware store. Once the correct valve was install, Andy and I got the toilet installed in the afternoon. So now the bathroom has a usable toilet. After a couple of trips to Lowes, the decision was made to stain the old vanity and reinstall it. So Kera was busy staining it that evening. Still some work to do before the tub is operational.






Aaron and I took a couple of hours off during the afternoon to go watch the latest 'Starwar' movie, which neither of us had seen. I was duly impressed. I always like it when the good guys/gals win. That evening we played the obligatory game of 5-Crowns; I was not the high scorer. Charlotte joined us; she does not have a good poker face.




Today in church we heard some good testimonies on the Savior and His love for us. Sunday School was good. It is interesting as I visit different wards to see the dynamics of the members and their actions with other members. Everything is not perfect, but the people are mostly loving, caring and understanding of those who uniquely different.

Today was a day sandwiched between two landmark dates for me: Saturday was the 4th month since Sandy's passing and tomorrow will mark the 49th anniversary of our baptism into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. No regrets there at all! One of the top three decisions Sandy and I ever made (getting married, joining the church, sealed in the temple - in no particular order).

No comments:

Post a Comment