Tom loves Mormon Radio and all through December you can
click onto 24 hour Christmas music. We have that music running in the
background most every day. The computer times out after about a half hour, so
we get periods of silence... until we wake it up again. It has really brought
the Christmas spirit into our house. That, and having it all decorated early.
This week I worked on a paint can lid sealer technology.
It's certainly lower tech than the nanodots, but also delightfully easy to
understand. It's a one whack paint can sealer. I wanted them to call it
"Thunk-n-done Sealer" but they went with the more pedantic "The
Paint Can Sealer." Faster, better seal so the paint last longer, and the
paint in the lip won't splash out on you.
Monday night Tom and I went to see the last of the Hunger
Games movies. I think it had a better ending than the book- more resolution. But
I didn't like the fact that all through the book she was a pawn for someone
else. It was unsatisfying. I wonder, to what degree are we pawns of a
"master game-maker."
Speaking of that. As we were driving in Branson this week,
we passed a sign that said, "Feed the Sharks." Tom said, "I thought we did that every
time we paid taxes."
I had been thinking of visiting Mom in January. I saw cheap
tickets ($268) and decided to go for it. So I called Mom and Cynthia and Susan
to check on their lives and schedules. It took a day or so to get everything
settled. Then tickets were nearly $400. Yikes. But I remembered the stock
market. It goes up and down randomly. And airplane tickets do too. So I checked
back and on Saturday they were down to $248!
So I grabbed them. Perhaps they'll drop to $199... but I won't know it.
I've stopped checking.
Tuesday I made cranberry nut bread for my visiting teachees
and for us. A loaf was still warm when I picked up one of my sort-of-active
sisters and took her to the Relief Society Christmas dinner. We had a very
special program about women in and around the birth of the Savior. We also
witnessed again the miracle of the loaves and fishes as they expected maybe 35
and ended up with 55 sisters in attendance.
Wednesday we finished the Christmas cards and got them ready
to go out. Tom had picked up a trailer load of logs from a church member who
cleared the forest to build his house. The logs were 4-6 feet long and
typically about 2 feet in diameter. So each day Tom went out and cut some of
the logs to size and split them. I helped stack them and we got maybe a cord
and a half of wood. It's been warm and we have not burned a lot of wood this
year.
Thursday we went to Branson. We were meeting some of the
kids and grandkids at Silver Dollar City on Friday. We thought we'd go up early
and do some shopping and see the shows and stores we wanted to see so we could
focus on Friday on what the others had the interest and attention span to do. We
dropped off cranberry nut bread at sisters houses and work, dropped off the
truck to get fixed and mailed letters and packages on the way out of town.
It really was a delightful, low-stress day. We snacked on
the way up. Had "lunch" at Andy's, and visited some stores. We found
Christmas presents we were looking for... and some that we hadn't known we
"needed." We got to Silver Dollar City about 3:30 and wandered
through stores, enjoyed the lights, and saw the parade, and then the musical,
"It's a Wonderful Life." It
was about 7:30 pm when the show let out, and it was snowing tiny flakes of snow.
It was such a delightful Christmassy feeling to walk in the cold, all bundled
up, with tiny flakes coming down.
(If you look carefully at these soldiers, you'll notice only the ones in the middle are real. The others move their legs in proper order... the feet just don't touch the ground.)
Friday we wandered through Dick's 5 & 10 cent Store. Alas,
not much was between 5 and 10 cents, but they have such an amazing variety of
things in there. We asked. Inventory takes a full 2 weeks with extra hired
help.
Getting family together at Silver Dollar City was more of an
ordeal than I had expected. Miranda and Dan were coming and between us we had 3
extra tickets. We invited Deborah to come with her three little ones that
didn't need passes. Ian planned to come, too. Then we realized the park didn't
open until 1pm. and Deborah would need to leave soon after to pick up kids. So
we invited Kristy and her two kids that were at home.
Then Kristy's kids started getting sick. Then on Friday,
Ethan wasn't feeling well. So Dan stayed home with Ethan and Miranda, Alex and
Camden came. Kristy was slowed a bit with car problems and the danger if a sick
child, but she soldiered on.
We first saw Dicken's A Christmas Carol and the kids seemed
to enjoy it. Then we went on the Lost Mine ride. They measured Alex and decided
he was tall enough... but he was unhappy at the end. It has some dark places
and a bit of a roller-coaster ride. That didn't set well with Zachary either. Well,
probably it wouldn't have mattered. He puked.
Then he settled into the stroller and was the best sick kid
I've ever seen. Others went on rides or played in the ball pit. He watched,
slept, zoned out, and occasionally emptied his stomach again. As night came, we
watched the parade of lights and the Christmas tree do some of its lights and
singing and then headed home. It was a nice time.
Santa also came:
Today I opened the back door and saw a gray streak running
to the barn. I think we now have THREE cats. This one looks like a young one--
couple of months old.
Today at church we had mostly music for our Sacrament
meeting. I was beautiful and spiritual.










No comments:
Post a Comment