We’ve had a good week. On Monday I worked on writing. Tom
worked on getting the chicken run ready for chickens and inaccessible to hawks
or carnivores. He ran a 6 foot fence around the exterior. He was tired of
trying to mow while bent over under the 4 foot netting. Plus, the netting
deteriorated so then there was no net… and therefore no way to keep chickens
in.
So he got the taller fencing and placed three wooden posts
into the ground in the middle. Then he strung wires between the posts and the
fencing.
Creekside had the dismal net fencing that got the city angry
at them. When they replaced the 6 foot nylon mesh fence with chain link, we got
to keep the nylon mesh fencing. It was ideal to put over the chicken run. We
had to stitch four runs of the 6 foot fence together for about 50 feet. Talk
about laborious!
Monday evening was Empty Nesters Family Home Evening. It’s
always enjoyable to visit with others from church and eat good stuff. We always
learn more about each other. This time we shared blessings from this year and
told about a scary or inspirational experience we had.
Steve and Kathy came to visit on Monday after we got back
home. We were so delighted to see them! They are restful company… except for
playing Pickle Ball. Tom had tithing settlement on Tuesday evening, so we went
into church and set up the Pickle Ball court. Initially my paddle had a really
hard time finding the ball. But as time progressed we got ball engagement. Directional
control… that is yet to come.
Wednesday morning we got Tom to come back and the 4 of us
played for about an hour. It’s good exercise but you’re having so much fun you
don’t realize it. Well, until you stop and then you start to feel the muscles
complaining.
My neighbor who is doing the necklaces was planning to drive
to some craft shows. But her car is so awful, I was really worried. Bad brakes,
bald tires, leaking radiator… Then Tom
heard about a ward member willing to give a car away. What a blessing to
her! She was SO grateful. I was too. And
the people giving it away got the oil changed, put on a new steering wheel
cover and a few other things done before they turned it over to her. It makes
you realize the good in people.
I wanted Steve and Kathy to take some of our sweet potatoes
home with them. So Steve and I went out and dug potatoes. We found some monster
ones… as well as some that had been gnawed on while underground. We still have
many more to dig and a great need for sweet potato recipes. But we had ham and
sweet potatoes and broccoli for dinner and the baked potatoes were very good. The
ones I foil wrapped were better than the one I microwaved unwrapped.
I planned on digging some more on Thursday after Steve and
Kathy left… but it was raining when we awoke. It never really quit. 2.9 inches
later—by Friday morning, the rain stopped. Unfortunately, it was time for use
to head out.
I had been promoting a goals program in our stake for over a
year. George Dyer, a performer in Branson and a church member had very
generously agreed to let anyone who had completed the goal program come to his
show for free. Friends and family could attend with a goal completer for half
price. So Tom accompanied me. We had maybe 25 people attend. I had hoped for a
hundred. But I’m pleased some came and they enjoyed it a great deal.
He really has an amazing voice. He can sing at least 4 octaves;
he did some impressive opera as well as Broadway and Christmas songs. His wife
and daughter also sang. After we left Branson we drove to Miranda’s. They had
headed out to Japan and we agreed to watch Camden and Ethan. They were happy to see us.
Saturday they played well together. In the afternoon we went
to a park. They played on the equipment and we went for a walk. Interesting. I
wasn’t sure where we’d come out. But Tom directed us back to our car.
Today we had a Regional Conference broadcast. It was broadcast
both in Mountain Home and in Broken Arrow… and points in between. Good speakers
with talks about simplifying our lives and having faith in essential truths and
trusting that eventually we’ll know the side questions that concern some.
The children got to Skype with Miranda and Dan that evening.
Up until that point, they’d been pretty loving toward one another. And after
they settled down, mostly. And now they are quiet in bed. I am grateful that we
just have two darling children and Kera is having the joy of keeping Alex. At this stage, one adult per child seems to
be a good ratio.


No comments:
Post a Comment