The weather is finally telling us winter is coming. But we’ve
enjoyed the extended fall. Tom has tons of leaves to clean up from the lawn…
and still the trees have some leaves. But this weekend it has been rainy and
cold.
The week started out nicely. Monday I worked on some
websites. I’m learning about airline maintenance and a new technology that can
take all the information that goes into the “black box” and use it to predict
when something is starting to go wrong. Then it can be fixed before it actually
goes wrong. I also have a gun sight invention that I’m trying to figure out how
it really works.
Sometimes these websites seem to be a moving target. I get
things written and then the owners come back and say, no, that’s really not how
it works. Or, that’s not what we’re going to focus on. It makes me crabby, but
I’m realizing this is a moving target. The companies are so new, they are just
coming to understand the technology themselves. They want the website up early
so they can have something to show investors. And that means sometimes new
information comes along that changes things.
Tuesday I went to glaze some pottery with my friend Marian.
We always have a lovely time chatting as we work. Whenever I go I always want
to do more with pottery. Then I come back home and other things seem more
important. But I enjoy working with clay.
Tom has been doing tithing settlement this week and will
continue through the end of the year. He enjoys visiting with families whether
or not they are full tithe payers. It’s just their chance to report to the Lord’s
representative.
Wednesday we prepared for Thanksgiving and for Deborah and
children’s arrival. I made pumpkin, apple, and pecan pie. When Deborah arrived,
she made a chocolate pie. I cooked up some yams from our garden and they were
sweet and tasty. Tom made green jello with cottage cheese and pineapple. Thursday
we added turkey, stuffing, and gravy. We were about to sit down to eat and I
realized I had not made mashed potatoes. Actually, nobody seemed to miss them.
Ian drove up early Thursday to join us and we invited our
neighbor Barb over for Thanksgiving dinner. The kids seemed to have a good time.
They had forecast bad rain and storms, but it didn’t happen Wednesday… or
Thursday… or Friday. Finally Friday night we got a little rain and drizzles
through to Sunday. But no storms and perhaps a total of under 2 inches.
On Friday we watched a Percy Jackson Movie. Sarah had been
reading the book— Sea of
Monsters, I think. Ian braved the crowds and went shopping for us on Friday. He
left that afternoon to get home in time for work on Saturday. Deborah
went out in the evening for some Black Friday shopping. She took baby Hailey
and all the other were in bed. An easy babysitting job for us.
Saturday we visited and played games with the kids. Then
Deborah packed up and headed out. She stripped beds and started laundry so it
was pretty simple to get things back to order after they were gone. We thought
we might have the mission president and his wife spend the night, but they did
not. It was nice to relax. We watched “Silent Night” the movie about how the
song came to be. It was a good introduction to Christmas.
Sunday we had two new converts and a missionary speak in
sacrament. I worked on some family history the second hour. Then the mission
president and his wife spoke to all of us for the third hours. It makes us
really want to be better missionaries.
No comments:
Post a Comment