Sunday, February 22, 2015

Snowy Week




We had a snowy, cold, stay-at-home week. How grateful I am that we chose to go to Branson the week before. Otherwise I would have been worried about how to get there and how to get back home.

Last Sunday was Mountain Grove’s Ward Conference. Weather was threatening, but I was able to go and come without any problem. However the snowy weather moved in Sunday night and by Monday we had four inches of snow and no one was going anywhere. It was a good thing it was President’s day and many things—schools and banks—were closed anyway
.
Monday seemed like such a lazy day. We lounged in front of the fireplace to read and work.

Tom got out… of course. He sees adverse weather as a challenge to overcome. He checked the church parking lot. While he shoveled snow off the walkways and steps, a church member with a little tractor scooped snow off part of the parking lot. We both worked a little shoveling snow off the driveway.

It did make for beautiful views. On Tuesday we went walking around our pastures and woods. Tom tried walking on the pond, but it was not frozen enough. The chickens were not happy about the snow in their run and stuck to sheltered areas.

Throughout the week the weather report forecast snow or ice or cold. It didn’t always come to pass. But Wednesday, the roads were pretty much okay and Tom took our neighbor grocery shopping. Our drive was still full of ice and snow… well, even today, Sunday, it’s covered in snow.

Thursday we did get some ice and it looked like this:


I had someone I’d written for before ask me to write an article on Cannabis stocks. I debated, and thought why not?  Well, it took me much longer than I thought to write. But I did learn something about the marijuana industry. When stocks go from $.02 to $1.20 and now trade at $.06 in a year… I suppose you could say you tripled your money…. If you actually bought it in the very early days when it was 2 cents. But mostly it looks like a great way to lose money. I learned you could speculate in companies that did software, security, consulting, manufacturing of equipment, real estate, and biotechnology for pot. So there were lots of ways to ride the roller coaster.

I wonder if I will start getting all kinds of ads related to this lifestyle now that I’ve researched so many sites for information about marijuana stocks.

Thursday and Friday we had internet and phone problems. As part of the cure, we decided to change over to a CenturyLink modem that Deborah had bought in the expectation of using after they moved. But they have a different system. Tom actually was on the phone with the technician and got it set up.

But I couldn’t connect on my computer… or the Roku. When we tried to connect, the only link we could see was for FBISurveillanceVan2. That seemed a little creepy. Then I remembered Ian’s quirky sense of humor. They had the modem long enough to name it… and put in the password. Once we figured that out we were able to connect to the computers, the TV and the Roku. Actually it was pretty amazing that we could do it by ourselves… without having to import children or grandchildren to do it for us!

Sunday we had really great talks for church. One was on the Sacrament and another was on change. I wrote about the one on change at www.letterstomissionaries.com where I write a weekly letter my Kenyan missionaries, the ones from Mountain Home, and any others who want a weekly letter.

Sister Andrus taught a great lesson on “Lord is it I?”  Then after she sat down, her pulse dropped to near zero. This is the second time it happened at church. We had an MD, two nurses, a paramedic assisting her before the ambulance arrived. I think she is okay. But I know they’ve had trouble getting her pulse stabilized. I thought, that’s the way I’d like to go. Teach a lesson and bam. Back to God. I hope Sister Andrus has many more lessons to teach. She’s a great lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment