Sunday, February 1, 2015

Keepin on Keepin on

If you’ve read Steve and Kathy’s letter or Sue and Steve’s letter—go and take a nap. If not, read my blog and it will put you to sleep. Not a lot is happening with us.

I’m back to writing monthly article for my executive coach. This one was on “stay” interviews. This is where you interview key employees to learn why they stay at the company and what you can do to make them want to stay. Interesting. I also got my Heating and Air Conditioning Newsletter finished and off.

While I had done visiting teaching early in the month, I got out and visited most of my sisters again. This month I’ll have a new route. I’ll be sorry to lose some of my sisters. On my new route, one sister is across the ward- probably 40 minutes away. I had really enjoyed the revision where we were all grouped by location.

Monday night Tom and I went to see “Night at the Museum 3.”  It was cute and we enjoyed it. It’s our second move in a month without popcorn… you’d think we’d lose weight or something.

We almost bit on a house to try and flip. Kevin Darracq called us about a possible cheap house. We went and looked at it… and it was pretty nice. It was one that was to be auctioned off and we’d have to deal with the auction company, even though Kevin had it listed.

We thought about it, prayed about it, and resisted the temptation. I can see the wisdom. Kevin has another buyer for the house, and together they are going through all the learning curve of bidding, auction title insurance, and lopsided contracts, etc with Auction.com. He’s getting the education. So the next house… if there is a next house… we will have a mentor to guide us.

One of the members of our ward bought a house to fix up. In the process, he hurt his arm and needed surgery. So the house is not yet livable. Tom and some other members of the ward have been going over and dry walling, texturing, doing some electrical and plumbing and putting in bathroom fixtures. So Tom’s been involved with that this week.

The stake issued a challenge for every member to read the Book of Mormon—one chapter a day. They have a website where people can make comments on the chapter they are reading. Today is the first day. The missionaries came into Relief Society to talk about it.

We talked about having a “why” for reading it. “Because we’re ‘sposed to” is not the best one. To draw closer to God, or to learn God’s will for me are better “whys.”  The missionaries said Elder Bednar told one young man to write down the question he had in the front of a softbound Book of Mormon. Then, after he read each page, he should return to that question and write down the answers he’d learned from that page. (The young man’s—a Muslim investigator-- question was: Why should I read the Book of Mormon?)  The missionary told about his question about an investigator, that he wrote in the front of a Book of Mormon. After a few chapters he had a full page of answers.

Today was fast and testimony meeting. Bro. Cubr bore his testimony as he does nearly every month. He is in his 90’s and such a good example of enduring to the end. He is active in family history and in missionary work. Up until recently he was volunteering every week at the hospital. His wife sang in the choir and played the piano until her hands got too bad and her voice got raspy.  Now she teachers every Sunday.



With so many of our friends around us having sickness or surgeries, the Cubr’s are such a great illustration of steadfast, dedicated, focused gospel living and the satisfaction it brings.  Oh… and I don’t think either one of them is over 5’ tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment