This is one week I’m glad to have over. It was overshadowed
by the imminent Seminary Graduation that I was in charge of. But let me begin at the beginning.
Monday Evening we had an empty nesters FHE. It was fun!
This time people actually brought parts of dinner and they added
hamburgers and such. We sat outside,
even though they have a lovely house and we got to tour it. We learned what each person had done in their
“before Mountain Home life” and how they ended up coming to Mountain Home.
I had a great time playing on my new tablet… until it
broke. It just froze up. Bummer.
And after I’d figured out how to download free Kindle books, too. NewEgg was good and sent me postage to ship
it back.
I’m finally getting paid for some copywriting, and they
wanted to pay through Dwolla. Never
heard of it. So I spent time checking
out this competition for credit cards.
Kind of a cool way to transact business.
Any two people who have Dwolla accounts can send or receive money for 25
cents a transaction. So I set up an
account and linked it so the money will go to my checking account.
We did normal things—worked in the garden. We have three zucchini
almost ready to eat. After all those
jokes about a plethora of zucchini (Why do people lock their car doors in
August? So they don’t come back and fine
zucchini in their front seats. Why did
the children of Israel complain about the manna? It tasted like zucchini.) We’ve had failed
crops for the last several years. So I
look forward to these. My little herb
garden is still…well... very little. The
plants are tiny. And we have a nocturnal
skunk that moseys by and digs in the gardens—for grubs I presume. Tom caught it in the headlights and we
watched it waddle off. But it leaves
little holes in the compost. Worse, the
pushed over dirt buries my little plants!
We’ve talked about reupholstering the dining room chairs for
a while. The problem is they are dang
complex to do and thus, disgustingly expensive.
However as we’ve waited, they’ve not gotten and less ratty or any
cheaper. Alas, just the opposite. So we hauled off a chair and a cushion and
chose the fabric. I hope we are pleased
with the results. I’d like to get my
little metal framed rocker/recliner reupholstered, too, but it will cost twice
that of a new chair. Sigh.
On the copywriting front, the good news is that I got
paid. And I got another assignment that
should bring in nice money. I wrote
some promotional pieces for Thieves directed at property managers who have mold
or odor problems. I need to figure out
how to disseminate it. And I want to
link with a scientific website that has all the facts. I haven’t done as much with my teen Style U
website or my Writing4Income. But one of
my African friends asked about how to write and make money, so he and I are
doing a writing course to help him learn to write for NGO’s or charitable
organizations in Kenya. I figure they
always want case studies or good stories about how they money is being put to
good use. A thousand shillings per story
would be good for George and $12 is cheap enough for most charities.
This was the last week of Seminary for most of the units I
oversee. Theoretically they were
supposed to have identified all the qualified graduating seniors (completed all
4 years) or those who had finished 1 or more years of seminary and were
graduating. However, some still needed
to turn in make-up work. Some had years
from a different location that they had not tracked down. They needed to have worthiness
interviews. I had to ask people to
speak, to sing, to lead music, to play the piano, to hand out the diplomas, to
stand and congratulate their students (bishops) to help with refreshments, to
clean up, to make sure the building was open… and a zillion other little
details. AKKK! I finally got the last of the information and
the program typed up (mostly) on Friday.
Saturday I worked at printing them off.
Somehow we got the church machine not to work anymore, and I had to
finish the job at Staples.
Saturday night we had some couples over for dinner. Tom had gotten his Ham radio license and
three of the people we’d invited were also new ham operators. So they talked radios and such and had a good
time. I made Rebecca’s Tortellini with zucchini. I really think we need to do a family recipe
book volume 2—for all those tasty new recipes.
Sunday the youth reported back on the Cultural Celebration
and the Kansas City Temple dedication.
Wow! Great talks. They talked about how the jumbotron—the large
screen—was down on the floor for repairs… and then could not be raised. It took
up most of the auditorium floor and so they couldn’t practice. Finally, all 3100 youth went to their knees
in prayer. Shortly thereafter, the jumbotron
went up. Another talked about how there
were lots of challenges, but it was all worth it. That great blessings require
great sacrifices. She said how being in
the presence of the prophet of God was so awesome. The youth also sang some of the songs from
the Cultural celebration. It was really
neat.
After church Tom spent time acting as Solomon... or trying
to. He says, you have two parties and
they both say such opposite things about the same situation. Where does the truth lie? He did get home before we needed to leave for
Springfield and the Seminary Graduation.
He is amazing. He hauled in
stuff, set up the refreshments tables and chairs, handed out programs, found
the Stake president (15 minutes before we started) who had yet to sign the
diplomas—and in all ways was a wonderful resource. While I made a few mistakes, the program went
well. Great speakers. Good singing.
And we had enough refreshments.
We were the last people out of the building. I hope we closed it up right. We got home before midnight. A long day… but a good one.
Gosh, I wondered why you were so worried about the graduation! I thought it was just a matter of coming up with a program. Now I see how stressful it must have been! So glad you got it done and can relax till next year.
ReplyDelete