Last fall in Stake Conference we were challenged to give a
Book of Mormon away. As I prayed about it, I came up with a list of 5
names. One was a person I didn’t know
well, but she’d asked about my mission.
The second was my hair dresser, Diane.
We often talk about religious things when she cuts my hair,
and I’ve referred a few other church members to her as she’s good and
inexpensive. So I gave it to her. Next visit, I asked if she’d read it. No. she hadn’t had a chance. Next visit, I didn’t ask. I didn’t want to
push her. Then, at church, then next
Sunday, I ran into Pat, who also uses the Diane.
She relayed this story.
She’d gone to get her hair cut and was chatting and the hair dresser
brought up that I’d given her a book.
“Oh, what
book is that,” Pat asked.
“The Book
of Mormon,” said Diane.
“Have you
read it?” Pat asked.
“No,” said
Diane, “But I have it on my night stand.”
“I did
that, too,” Pat said. “I had the Book of
Mormon on my night stand for 5 years.
Then I finally read it! And I thought
what a waste. I’d wasted 5 years letting
it just sit there.”
I thought of the tender mercies of the Lord. That Diane had not put the book on the mantle
or on the book shelf, but on the night stand—exactly where Pat had placed her
book. And that the church member who had
gone for the hair cut, was the exact one who had waited so long to read it, and
regretted that.
Two weeks ago, I had also felt that I needed to give the 3rd
book to Jessie who works in our bank. We’ve
chatted many times. She went through two
bouts of cancer. I like her, but I was
hesitant to talk religion in front of others as her desk is near other
people. When I went to open my LLC
account with the lady at the desk next to her, when she asked for ID, I pulled
out my Kenya Alien resident card and asked if it would do—it WAS a photo
ID. She said no… but it did create a
little conversation about our mission.
After, I went to visit Jessie. I asked if she’d followed our blog much while we were in Kenya. I know she did some. I asked her if she’d like to know WHY we
chose to serve a mission. I asked about
her religious back ground and found she was Episcopalian, going to the Cowboy
church... but that one of her daughter’s best friends had converted to Judaism
and so the daughter often spent the Sabbath with her friend. I asked if she would be interested in reading
the Book of Mormon, and she thought it would be nice to read it with her
daughter.
I was excited that she was interested in reading it. Monday I took her a Book of Mormon. Again, I didn’t want her to get negative
reactions from those around her. So I decided
to gift wrap it—after all, it was the best gift I ever got. When I walked up to the bank—she was just
walking out the door for lunch. So I was
able to give it to her privately.
Another tender mercy of the Lord.
I love it that through my fears and worries, each person I’ve
offered a Book of Mormon has been interested and accepting. You’d think I’d feel more comfortable about
doing it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment