Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Great Fox Adventure

 

The Great Fox Adventure began last Sunday, 14 March. Dan had left Ethan and Alex with me while he attended a training meeting north of me. I also had Emily, who had spent the week with me. I had done the majority of packing the day before, but still needed to pack my suitcase. The three children played well together as I completed the last minute ‘to does’. We got underway about 3 and arrived at Jonathan’s about 6, just in time for their homemade pizza. I had brought a chocolate truffle pie, and they had some left over pies from their linger longer at church. The family has happy to have Emily home and Dan arrived shortly to take the boys home.

 After teaching seminary Monday morning, I checked the road conditions to my brother’s house  who lives just east of Denver. Some sections of I-70 were closed. After vacillating back and forth, I said my good byes and started the long trek to the Denver area. The sun was shining, the temperatures were warm, how can the roads be closed? I stopped in Wichita at my favorite Mexican Restaurant for lunch. Back on the road, the digital road sign said:  ‘I-70 closed west of Hays’. Upon refueling about minutes from Hays, I asked at the station if the road was open – and they said it just opened. There was evidence of snow along the road way and the scenery was beautiful. Even with the extra hour, it was after 8 pm before I arrived at Susan and Steve’s.



 Tuesday I got up an hour early to teach seminary. I told my students that I only loved them one hour’s worth and not two. I am willing to get up to teach at 5:45, but not 4:45. While on the West Coast, I have a substitute arranged to teach. About noon, we headed to the upholstery shop that Catherine had found, and who agreed to reupholster the 1890’s sittee. We spent about two hours there; the couch was measured, evaluated, inspected, measured and more. Then we were given a tour of the business; they strip, refinish, repair, repaint, restain, restring reupholster and more. And the quality of workmanship was impressive. We made a mandatory stop at See’s Candy before proceeding to Catherine’s. I spent an hour there visiting and then returned to Steve’s house. We had dinner at Robert’s that night and enjoyed a delicious meal; even had toll house pie for dessert!

 Wednesday I was up early to teach seminary and then be on my way west. Steve guided me to the local O’Reilly Auto Parts Store to purchase some tire chains as insurance that they would not be needed. Fortunately, they were not. The drive out of Denver was uneventful. But once in the mountains, things changed, especially after the Eisenhower tunnel. Heavy traffic, temperatures around 20 degrees and heavily sanded roads. The wipers were going almost continually due to splatter from other vehicles. I was concerned that the wiper fluid reservoir would run out of fluid. There may have been some white knuckle moments navigating the slushy sandy road but I persevered and got safely over the mountains and into Provo. Isabelle was able to meet me at her dorm and provide a walking tour of the campus. Been too many years since I have visited the campus. She did buy me ice cream. She also arranged for me to spend the night with her bishop and I headed off to their mansion. Spent a comfortable night there.

 Thursday I headed back to campus for breakfast with Isabelle. But first I found a car wash and removed a lot of the sand and grime from the van.

Said farewell to Isabelle after eating and headed to a Deseret Book store to spend some money. Then over to DI to see what items they had that I might need. Did find some books. My next appointment was lunch with Nathan. Was able to get caught up on his future plans before hitting the road. I had hoped to see a missionary couple we knew from Kenya, but was not successful. So I continued up the road past Orem and found a Comfort Inn for the night.

 Friday I drove to Pocatello ID to join up with Katie and her friend Chandler for lunch. Enjoyed good food and excellent conversation. They are a happy couple who enjoy being with each other. And yes, I did ask Chandler the ‘question’ and was impressed with his response.


 I then hit the road and spent the night in Ontario, OR. Beautiful countryside and rather windy.

 Saturday morning I continued to Salem, OR to spend time with a former Marine 46 pilot we knew back in the 70’s. Sandy and Emma used to trade baby sitting back in the 70’s at El Toro and Skip was a good squadron friend and room mate aboard the USS Okinawa. Driving alongside the Columbia River is always inspiring because of the beauty of the area. I even saw two sets of two long horn sheep along the road; unfortunately, the timing was not good for a photo op. Oregon did welcome me with rain and heavy traffic. I did arrive about 4 pm and spent the evening getting caught up on family and 30 years of happenings.

 In person church was at 9 on Sunday. Members attend alternate weeks depending on last name. But since Skip is in the bishopric, his wife attends each week. So I was able to join her and enjoy a delightful sacrament meeting. And they live ¼ mile from the chapel! One of their daughter’s family came in the afternoon and we had a fun afternoon of visiting, playing games and eating a delicious meal. Skip, Emma, and I reminisced about our time in the Marine Corps, as well as church service and what we had done in the past 25 plus years. They had been able to serve a Military Relations Mission on Parris Island, the Marine Corps boot camp on the east coast. Very similar to our Ft Benning Mission.

 After a quick breakfast on Monday, I said my good byes and hit the road again. Our time together was too short; there was much more we could have shared given the time to do so. I headed south to Medford and arrived at Adam’s house before 2 pm. I was able to sneak into the house and left a note for the grands to find a stranger in their house. They were quick to find me and happy I was there. They might have known I was coming sometime, but no specific date was told them – so it was a complete surprise to them.

 Today, Tuesday, I finally had a chance after 10 days to get on a treadmill (they have two); my lack of exercise is showing. Denali wanted to make blue berry muffins for breakfast, and I was able to assist her in that yummy endeavor. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Savannah had posted four (!) pages of long- and short-range projects they are working on. Why not help complete some of those! So, Denali helped me cut down a birch tree, remove the flagpole and clean up part of the back yard. Lisa is growing; she talks a lot, most of which I do not yet comprehend; and she will actually come up to me and hug my legs. It is fun to be the ‘grandpa’.

 This letter was delayed because I left the computer charging cord at my brother’s, and it did not arrive until today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment