It is 5 pm Sunday evening and I am sitting outside the bishop's office waiting to be interviewed by a member of the Stake Presidency. He has several temple recommend interviews to conduct first, so I wait. 45 minutes later, after visiting with others there to see him, I finally enter the office and learn the purpose of my interview. It has been necessary to release the couple teaching seminary and that call is extended to me. Immediately my mind races through the implications of this call, and getting up 30 minutes earlier is not one of them. I am committed to spend a week or two assisting Deborah and Ian with a bathroom project and Miranda and Dan with converting a shed into his new office. And what about the Adam's Family October visit, etc, etc. While Mountain Home schools are conducting classes, many have opted to do virtual learning, so seminary is via Zoom for now. As long as those I am visiting have good internet, I should be able to still conduct daily meetings. How soon do I start is my first question; immediately. Because of my current work schedule, I am able to negotiate Friday as my first day. On the drive home the reality of what seminary requires sinks in. But I have learned that by trusting in the Lord, all things are possible.
Class starts at 645 am. I need to learn how to host a Zoom call. Things have changed since I taught seminary over 20 years ago.There are 14 'attending' seminary youth. I taught three of their mother's 20 years ago. I almost feel like I have pulled out of 'teaching seminary retirement'. And off course the big question for me: how long will the restrictions requiring virtual classes last. Because, once they return to the classroom it will be necessary to have two teachers, and I won't be able to depart the area to visit family.
Monday I ran. It is 645 am, the sun is just starting to appear over the horizon; five deer are off to the right 150 yards ahead of me. Four of them cross the road and run into the field. I focus on the road ahead of me and then I catch some peripheral motion on the right. That lone buck appears to be heading directly towards me. By the time it registers that he may be on a collision course with me, he diverts and passes within 25 feet of me. Do deer have a sense of humor? And then it was back to work at the rent house. Got three coats of polyurethane on the hardwood floors and the rigid flooring in the kitchen. Progress!
Tuesday I arrived at the Chamber's house about 630 am. I was there to observe how they conduct seminary classes. In listening to their story, I am saddened by what I hear. They had purchased their 'last home' in Colorado where they had been living; he had retired; live was good. But then her health dictated a move to a better climate. So they moved from their 'last house' to Mountain Home and her health issues were mitigated. Then she had cancer and has recently been undergoing chemo and radiation therapy. And his Parkinson's is complicating his life, making it difficult to occasionally accomplish simple tasks. They are my age.
Home to change into work clothes and then back at the rent house. Started the flooring in the room off the kitchen. I wanted to start in the opposite corner from where I ended in the kitchen. That small voice tried to persuade me differently; but I ignored it. After 2 plus hours of frustration and having to fight each piece, and only being about 1/2 done, I decided it was time to stop.
Wednesday I returned to the uncooperative floor and listened to that small voice: I pulled up the floor and started in the other corner. It went so much quicker; no frustration. And I got the floor done! I miscalculated when initially measuring the floors and was going to be short; when I discovered this error, Home Depot did not have that item in stock anymore. I took some creative license and managed to get the job done.
Thursday I am at a ward members home by 8 am to help others from church clean up some of the brush and trees he has cut. Someone had a small chipper, but the group that started the fire accomplished more. Then it was back to the house.
I was up earlier than normal Friday to be ready for my first seminary class. Never been the Zoom host before, but all went well and all 14 youth were in attendance. Class went well. But the best news of the day: I finished at the rent house! I had hoped to head west to help with the DI (Deborah and Ian) bath remodel in the afternoon, but Ian had to work on Saturday, so I postponed my trip and left Saturday. I did manage to run first before leaving. Dan had purchased a shed when the bought their new house and is in the process of converting it into an office space. My accumulation of building materials over the years includes excess sheet metal used for roofing. I cleaned out my surplus, loading it on the trailer (some pieces were 16 feet long) along with some other items and headed to MD (Miranda and Dans).
Three hours later I was in Bella Vista. Dan, Ethan and I visited the local Lowes so he could buy roofing material and other items for his new office. We had time to get eight sheets of 5/8 plywood on the roof, tack down the tar paper and get started with the shingles before quiting for the day.
This morning I said good bye to Bella Vista and drove the 40 minutes to DI's house in Springdale. Nice that the children live closer together. And I will spend the week here helping get their bathroom operational again. I was able to enjoy 'church' with them at home and participate in their Sunday lesson.



No comments:
Post a Comment