As the world hunkers down in light of the corona virus and the concern of its spreading, life continues in my little sphere at a new norm. Except for church related activities and responsibilities, I did not have much social action. So with those events on temporary hold, my life has not otherwise seen dramatic changes. Wait a minute, not being able to attend church is a dramatic change! Grief Support Group was cancelled, too.
The local radio station spends time each morning with the hospital CEO and various department heads to keep us appraised of local health situation. As of today, there are about 110 confirmed cases in Arkansas, with none in Mountain Home. The hospital is screening people as they enter and it is business as usual there. Schools are closed, restaurants are doing carry out only, I can still buy milk and bread at the market and gas stations are still open (gas dropped to $1.98).
I had booked flights several weeks ago to visit Rebecca and Family for the end of March; but the handwriting was on the wall as departure time grew closer. On Friday the overseas carrier called to inform me flights had been cancelled. So I spent time on the phone yesterday with USAA travel services to discuss receiving a refund for that part of the trip and a voucher from AA for the US flight which I will use (hopefully) before the end of this year.
Monday Sue and Steve departed for their home. I went and spent a good part of the day at the rent house. That evening Steve and Kathy prepared a yummy meal for dinner (and there was enough for another meal). Then they left on Tuesday morning to return to their home. And I went back to work at the rent house. You may think that I spent a lot of time at this particular house, and I have been. This is a good example of tenants not notifying the property manager when there are problems and trying to make do or resolve the issue themselves. At least 50% of what I have been working on could have been easily cared for with early notification. But it was wasn't and so I spent time each day of the week out there working on it. It is now ready to rent.
I did manage to accomplish some around the house tasks this week that have been on hold; reattaching a sagging rain gutter, garden weeding, repaired a broken picture frame and such. My major domestic accomplishment though is getting the curtains in our bedroom washed. After years of hanging around, I washed and dried and rehung them. They look much happier - and cleaner.
I just happened to be looking for something in the freezer and noticed that the ice machine was out of control! The shut off was not working and the ice bucket was overflowing with cubes. That thing can crank out the ice! And the water shut off under the sink isn't doing its function either. I have already emptied the bucket three times in five days. Fortunately, the repair man will be out in the morning.
This week I scanned 145 pages of letters Sandy wrote to me while I attended OCS in Quantico, VA. This was our first (of many) separations and was particularly challenging for her since we had never been apart in our nine months of married life. During this time, she resided with her family at the Van Nuys house and worked at the local swimming pools. Her letters had some profound insight in how to survive such separations with a positive attitude and remain faithful to our covenants. Some of her insights are especially meaningful to me now since her thoughts are timeless and apply now as much as they did almost 50 years ago. One example: she saw these 10 weeks of being apart time for each of us to grow and progress in the Gospel and learn those things we needed to know to improve our relationship once we were together again. That is an eternal principle which I am still working on.
Interesting times await us. Wonder what surprises are in store for us this week!



No comments:
Post a Comment