I met with the law firm personnel on Monday. The trust modification had been signed off by the judge which authorized the change of Sandy's irrevocable trust to a revocable trust. So it was necessary for me to sign various documents. Now I can officially contact the last couple of banking institutions and get my name on the accounts.
I also hired a friend who does construction worker to make some minor repairs to a couple of our rent homes. When we did inspections last month, we noted some minor wear and tear/water damage on the exterior of a couple of the homes. Since they involved greater heights than I prefer, I had it done. So much nicer!
Tuesday I took a trailer load of debris to the transfer station. I had 18 bags of 'stuff' from a rental and the wood from the old stairs at our house that had been removed last summer and were just taking up space in the pasture. No human contact in this venture. At my departure weigh-in they just charged my account since they also pick up my household trash.
I had previously planned to market one of our rentals, but it had a roof leak that needed attention first. It took a month for the roofer to get out and look at it; while he could resolve the leak issue for several hundred dollars, he commented that if it was to go on the market a potential buyer would note the poor condition of the roof and want a new one, or compensation for one. Since this is a two story house, I can't see the roof and just assumed it was good. Not so. So now it will get a new roof next week and I will visit with the realtor about getting it on the market. Should be an interesting time to put a rental on the market.
Wednesday evening, Katie and Aaron arrived to spend a couple of days. I look forward to their visits since they bring a youthful attitude and a willingness to do whatever they can to help around the house. I had just changed the oil and filters on the riding mower, and would have changed the blades but Hercules was the last one to tighten them and I could not get them off. But, Aaron was happy to mow the yard while Katie used the tractor to bush hog on Thursday. With them working so hard, I felt guilty not doing anything and so I tackled a couple of jobs around the house.
In addition to the yard work, weeds in the flower bed were treated, the garage siding was cleaned, the truck got washed, Katie set up an excel spreadsheet for a project I am working on, and several other odd jobs were accomplished. My to-do list is much shorter. And Aaron was a great help with dinner preparations, Katie made bon bons, and of course we had to make fudge!
Saturday we went to help a brother unload a trailer of firewood; we didn't have any concerns about social distancing since he was off with a couple others from church helping an older sister whose fence had blown over. Then the two grands left after lunch.
Today feels awkward. The church of one just leaves a lot to be desired. But I can still fast and pray, have a Come Follow Me lesson and read the scriptures. I am grateful for the counsel of church leaders that encourage us to reach out to one another, follow the counsel we have been given and to know that we can have hope and find comfort in the Savior's teachings even during challenging times.
No comments:
Post a Comment