Had my annual meeting with my doctor to review the blood tests of the previous week. Only took me 90 minutes from my appointment time to see him. I found it interesting that he was very articulate in reviewing the various blood tests and what they all mean, but he did not ask anything about me. Makes me wonder: am I just a statistic or am I a real person? I did get out afterward to run.
Tuesday morning I was up and out the door by 605 am to attend the temple. I discovered I can get out the door faster if I don't eat breakfast, but swing by the local donut place and get an apple fritter. The local shop is owned and operated by a Cambodian couple. He was originally a Shipley franchise, but when they wanted him to purchase more expensive equipment in accordance with their business plan, he left them and went to Day Light Donuts; he continued to make donuts the same, just a different name. Just recently Day Light put pressure on him to change how he was doing things, and so he left them and renamed his store as his own business. Still the same great donuts. He and his wife were very poor when they arrived here and started their business; with a lot of hard work and perseverance, they have prospered.
I was able to spend five hours in the temple and accomplish several ordinances. I find being there very therapeutic. I tried out a new Comfort Inn and Suites and saved about $20 with their 'Mormon' rate. It was comfortable and the breakfast adequate. Even found a Five Guys to eat at, just like the old days; just didn't have anyone to share the fries with, though.
Wednesday I got there when their first session started and was able to get two completed before heading home. Of course there was the stop at Aldis in West Plains. I had stopped by the library earlier in the week to obtain a book on tape and found that to keep me awake on the drive. On one of those lonely two lane roads in the dark, the tire warning light came on; not a good sign. I was only a couple of miles from a small town, so I pressed on hoping the best. Didn't happen; about two miles from a better place to pull over, the road noise changed and I knew if I didn't pull over right away, I would ruin the tire. Fortunately there was a place to pull over. It was a beautiful night with a full moon. But I needed the flashlite on the cell phone to find all the tools, get the car jacked up and remove the lug nuts. Unfortunately, one nut had rounded corners and would not loosen. It was just about that time that a pick up truck stopped and asked if I needed help. He was able to get the lug nut loosened and we got the spare mounted. He said he was on his way to church (it was a Wednesday night) and he thought: if God was driving by he would stop to help. I was most appreciative of his assistance. I drove the remaining 30 miles slower than normal. And when I stopped by the tire place the next day, they were able to repair the leak.
Thursday I attacked more of the leaves and was able to get the worst area cleaned up and the leaves burned. Also went running.
Friday I made rolls for the ward Christmas Brunch on Saturday. It has been years since I made any bread, and it was probably the first time doing so without any adult supervision. While they were tasty, I think I did a 'Miranda'; the water may have been too hot and over cooked the yeast. Need to try them again soon.
With five roosters and nine hens, those poor ladies were getting too much of a workout, so I separated them and the hens were much happier. I had previously confided with my neighbor that I was willing to part with the chickens, and on Friday she called to say a friend would be by shortly. He took one rooster and all nine hens. He has lots of acreage and they will be able to free range. Now to find a home for the four remaining roosters.
Saturday I helped a ward member briefly with his yard sale and then took my rolls to the ward brunch. There was a good turn out, lovely decorations, lots of food and good visiting. I had signed up to be on the clean up crew and started putting chairs back in the relief society room (it had been transformed into the North Pole). Then I grabbed the large vacuum and started on the hall ways. I left the vacuum to moved the cord out of the way. When I returned to power the vacuum forward I noticed flames leaping 4-5 inches high from where the cord was plugged into the outlet. That caught my attention. I regret not pulling out my phone and snapping a picture first, but instead I pulled the cord out of the outlet and flames extinguished. The flames blackened the wall and melted the outlet. The vacuum plug was unusable. And I was able to go run in the afternoon, in 42 degree weather!
Earlier in the week I had taken a laptop computer in to see about retrieving data; it was diagnosised with a corrupted operating system but all data was still intact. Unfortunately, it did not contain the Kenya Mission files. I was starting to panic since I had looked everywhere else for those files which contained my journal of that mission plus 10,000 photos. Then a voice said: check out the computer in the office, the one Mom used for her writing. Sure enough, they were there. But the question is: how did they get there? Sandy would know, but she isn't saying... So I immediately backed those up.
The reason why I was motivated to find them is that the area self reliance person's son was recently called to serve a mission in Kenya. I connected with the family and we coordinated meeting after church so I could show them some of our pictures and explain about the traditions, culture and growth of the church. She was able to coordinate with the bishop and the ward council received about 40 minutes of training on the self reliance program. Her boss, from Las Vegas, joined her to do the training and then both spoke in sacrament meeting. She was on the program, and he because the visiting high councilman was weathered in. Good counsel from them both.
After church we enjoyed lunch and then shared experiences and photos. the visiting brother had served as a mission president to Ghana 10 year ago and had traveled a lot in Africa, so he was able to add insight into what to expect.
Looks like we are in for a couple days of cold and rain
No comments:
Post a Comment