Tuesday I got in a short run and then joined the sister missionaries as they visited a single sister. Our goal was to help her input some of her family history into Family Search, but she had trouble with her log in; so we watched the new 'Nativity' video instead. The local appliance repair man arrived with a new control board for the dishwasher. It wanted to wash according to the dictates of its whims and not according to the buttons pushed. It now cooperates.
Wednesday was a busy time; lots of last minute items to complete so I could be on the road by noon to journey to Jonathan's house in Missouri for the holiday. Driving to their house takes me by Branson, which entails a stop at Harry and David's for some house warming contributions; this time it was truffles. I arrived in time to visit before dining; Jonathan made a wonderful dinner for Kristy's birthday, along with a decadent chocolate cake (not what it really was, but I can't remember the correct name). Andy's family drove up from Russellville later and there was much rejoicing between the cousins, and lots of visiting by the adults.
Thursday morning was the day of the Mountaineer 5 K race in Mt Vernon. The weather was a chilly 41 degrees with an occasional drizzle. Fortunately the rain held off until the end of the race. While they had approximately 280 sign up for the race, I don't think there were that many who showed up. Andy, Katie, Aaron, Matthew, Isabelle and I all participated.
They changed the race course from last year and I was thrown off at the finish; coming up an incline last year we turned left and then right through the finish line Thinking it was the same this year, I was ready for the final sprint (I use this term loosely) only to discover that this time we turned right and ran around the court house, at least 200 yards further than anticipated. I survived anyway. We waited inside the court house until they handed out the awards. Andy was 3rd in his age group and I was 2nd in the over 70; age does have its advantages. Matthew was first from our group, followed by Aaron, Andy, myself and then the two teenaged girls. We were glad to come home and take hot showers.
Jonathan and Kristy traditionally invite one or two families for Thanksgiving dinner. This time they had two church families over; there were a total of 21 of us for dinner. Everything was delicious, the turkey was moist and yummy, the stuffing and potatoes, green bean casserole were all tasty. Kera made lots of rolls and two pecan pies. I brought a chocolate truffle pie and there were apple, key lime and pumpkin as well. We did not want for food. And by having lots of people come, each brought something to share so Jonathan and Kristy did not have to slave over the stove providing everything. Then the adults stayed talking and visiting until 9 pm. It was a long and enjoyable Thanksgiving in so many ways. We truly are a blessed family!
Some family photos:






Friday Andy, Jonathan and I installed a new mail box, complete with hole digging in rocky soil. Kera had painted them a 'Fox' mail box patterned after the one she painted for me earlier this year. And we worked on some plumbing and electrical issues as well. In the afternoon we drove to Monett to watch 'Frozen II'. All seemed to enjoy this movie. I was intrigued with the previews; there were at least five shown, all of them animated. Don't they have any movie with real people as actors?
Andy and family departed home after dinner; I left Saturday after lunch. On the way home I stopped by Harry and David's again to collect the annual gift basket for our property manager. Opps, all the shoppers were out in great abundance; nothing wrong with our economy based on the number of shoppers at the mall! Rather than deal with heavy traffic looking for the lone parking space, I drove to the far end of the mall and parked there. That meant a 1/2 mile walk to and fro; but the weather was nice. And I found that their truffles and Moose Munch were 50% off!! So I now have a good stock pile of goodies for anyone who wishes to visit. I got home in time to do the evening choirs and prepare for Sunday.
Today was fast and testimony Sunday followed by Sunday School. Then home to read, scan more pictures and stay inside where it is warm. Tomorrow Scott Kelley will join me for a few days; looking forward to his visit.




No comments:
Post a Comment