One of our tenants reported the bottom of their shower dropped about an inch while showering. Fortunately they have a full bath they can use since I was not able to get to it until Monday. It is a 32 inch square shower with 4 inch tile on the three sides. Unfortunately, the installer of the shower did not use sheet rock or hardiboard, and the side tiles were not still adhered to the sides. They were mostly held together with the grout. So, I had to do a complete demolition down to the studs. It took 2 1/2 days to get the plumber to come out and disconnect the drain so I could work on the floor. Under the shower pan they had used particle board; a previous leak had softened it to the point that it finally collapsed. Due to the delays with the plumber and lots of rain, I was not able to get the floor joists reinforced until Saturday. Next step is get the plumber to connect the drain and then I can sheetrock and tile.
I won't bore you with the tenant that left a leaky water cooler on the kitchen floor and soaked the peel and stick vinyl tiles loose and damaged the underlayment...you are probably already suffering from TMI!
December was one of the rainiest in past history; over 4 inches. And January is competing for top honors as well. While it has rained three days this past week, it has been slow and gentle and we have a total of almost 3.5 inches for the month. This makes for really soggy ground. For the third time in the past six weeks, we have not received the wintry mix of snow or ice that was originally forecasted. But the temperature has been just above freezing. Knowing the weather would be turning rainy, I spent a couple of afternoons cutting up the downed tree and hauling it to the wood pile for splitting. I was also able to move all the brush to a burn pile and burn it. Time to schedule another wood splitting party!
Memorable events of the week for Sandy include seeing the chiropractor for adjustments (she is way out of shape); visit to the wound healing center ('we really don't need to see you every two weeks' - so we will go every three in the future); having another infusion and visit with the doctor who scheduled her for another PET scan on Monday (Clifford said, 'regardless of what the scan may show, you are doing better'). She had her best day of the past couple months on Friday. She had more energy and zest. By Saturday, a lot of that was gone, but she is still showing signs of greater energy.
My weekly excitement was waking up with a sore molar on Wednesday. I texted Adam about my symptoms and was told to schedule an immediate appointment with my dentist. It could be a tooth in need of a root canal. I was able to see the dentist that afternoon; fortunately no root canal needed. I have an 'open end' between two molars that allows food particles to collect and put pressure on the gum. The best way to solve that issue is a crown; I am scheduled for that next month. Once the problem was identified, I recalled several recent past experiences with food getting stuck between those teeth. Now I have the tool to keep it cleaned out until the crown.
Highlight of the week was the baptism of Craig; he has been attending church sporadically with his member wife for a couple of years, but only recently has he really applied himself in studying and reading. The sister missionaries were valiant in their efforts to teach him and he was prepared to enter the waters of baptism on Saturday.
Sad notes of the week: we visited a couple from church that are both veterans; he is blind and was moved to the ICU due to pneumonia. He passed away on Friday at age 85. We also learned that good friends Tanya and Scott lost their daughter this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment