On Monday evening we went to Hannah and Jacob's high school graduation party. It was nice to sit and chat with Gerry Rasmussen who took a week break from her mission to come to the celebration. I indulged in a pulled pork sandwich and it was tasty!
Tom has been going out to the Midway house most every day to work on one project or another. The cupboards, stove, and sink are all out, as is the shelving in the stairwell. He is working on painting some of the trim. The cleaning woman finally came on Thursday, so I hope it smells better.
On the health side, I had some struggles. I did pretty well until Wednesday when we went with the sister missionaries to visit Richard and then go and teach an older gentlemen, He's a songwriter, but moved down from the north and is now fixing up a trailer in the middle of the Ozark hills. Both are such wonderful, sincere people it was a delight to talk with them.
However, by the time I got home, I was nauseated and couldn't keep things down. Thursday I still felt poorly and debated if I should call off the hordes coming to the house. But I decided I could be like Grandma Marion-- just sit in my chair and have people come visit me. And it was wonderful.
Miranda arrived about midnight on Thursday. It was sweet. Camden brought over his Lego toys and we played Legos for several hours. Part if it is just admiring the parts and pieces, but you can "vroom" around some of the fun pieces, and Camden has a lot of interesting pieces-- Gandalf, mine craft, super heroes, and more. Then Ethan and Alex came over and we played a few games of Uno.
Because I was nauseated and not keeping things down, I wondered if I was filling with fluid again. I called Dr. Nachtigal's office and went in. Yes, there appeared to be some fluid. He sent me to the hospital. The ultrasound showed the fluid was striated and in pockets. They were not so sure how much would come out. But they tried and got 400cc's. I felt some better.
When I got back home, Jonathan had arrived. And Surprise, Surprise! Rebecca was there, too!!! I came out from examining the tent... and there she was! Brought me to tears.
She'd flown in from Okinawa. It was such a remarkable delight! Then Deborah and family came on Friday evening after dinner, as did Andy and family. And my wonderful friends, Tanya and Scott Kelley drove the 13 hours from Ohio to celebrate with us!
Tom ordered in pizza for dinner, so as people arrived, they just kept munching on the pizzas. I wondered how we would fit everyone in the house, but Andy and Kera's kids were happy to sleep in hammocks and in our brightly striped Kurdish tent. Miranda's boys were excited by the tent, but forgot the operative word "sleep," so they eventually came inside to crash. The Drakes offered some spare bedrooms and Scott and Tanya took that.
Saturday morning I had my final surprise-- Adam arrived! He had planned to come down with Rebecca and Jonathan, but flights got delayed and he arrived here about midnight on Friday. I felt so loved, like my cup runneth over. I had gifts and goodies showered on me. I'm not sure I remember them all, although I was so grateful. Ian made a beautiful wooden bed to replace the hunk of junk that was the squeaky trundle bed. I'm sure Adam and Jonathan were so grateful they didn't have to trade squeaks all night. Many people did service projects--weeding the flower garden and the blue berries. Katie sanded and painted the rocking bench. Miranda and Dan cleaned my crystals and I have some fun ones.
Children were happy to bear-foot walk around the property with me... although we move pretty slowly. I got soft towels and useful spatulas, Tanya made a watermelon cake with meringue (literally a block of watermelon with toasted meringue on top) for me. And then she created a HUGE Death by Chocolate cake that made people absolutely willing to die for it. We celebrated on Saturday. There was some left over at the beginning of Sunday... but it very quietly disappeared. Adam brought Sees Candy. I think I will freeze my box in the hopes that some day I can have a sample now and then.
This is the mandatory awkward "prom" photo.
One of Grandma Fox's chairs took a hit, almost dumping Adam to the floor. I was not inclined to fix it. In fact, I was realizing that the chair I sat in during the night at times, was not all that comfortable on my back. So Monday, Rebecca and I went shopping for a ladies recliner. I wanted something that would not overwhelm the living room and I almost got it. We needed to rearrange the furniture, and I think it will be okay.


No comments:
Post a Comment