I was very impressed with MD Anderson. They were very professional and really addressed all concerns from medical to social and emotional. Unfortunately the doctor had the same prognoses and treatment as the oncologist here. Not a candidate for surgery as the cancer had metastasized and seeded in the abdomen. Chemo would hopefully shrink the tumor... no cure... cancer would likely return. Fortunately that's just western medicine's outlook. I have a connection with the Master Healer and hope and pray for a much better outcome.
I'm doing natural remedies... but are they working... or working fast enough? Dr. Le (from MD Anderson) said that while I feel great now, things could go south quickly. If I had a bowel blockage, the size of the tumor in the abdomen might make it impossible to do surgery... and it would be fatal. Tom and I decided we would start Chemo and see if it shrinks the tumor. That would give natural methods more time to work.
While they said to plan on 3-5 days, we just had the one appointment and we were done. Perhaps because we'd done all the testing ahead of time. So we drove to Galveston and walked barefoot on the beach. It was absolutely delightful. The tide was in. The waves were wild with the wind blowing. And the sand was powder soft. Sandpipers raced at the edge of the surf. Clouds tumbled across the sky. It was perfect. Very soothing.
Tom and I have been doing barefoot walking as Tom's been reading the book, "Earthing," by Clinton Ober. It has quite a bit of scientific evidence of the benefits of connecting to the earth on a variety of ailments. Even as we traveled home, we stopped and walked barefoot in a small park along the way.
Wednesday we drove to Dallas and went to the temple. Then we drove to Mt. Pleasant, just south of the Arkansas border and spent the night. It was quite a nice hotel for a very reasonable price. However, between travel and change in diet, my digestive track was not very happy with me. So we took it easy on the way home stopping frequently.
On the way home on Thursday, we called Missionary Medical to ask what would be required for us to go on a mission. We'd need a letter from the doctor saying he cleared us to go on a mission. Then they needed to know what follow-up treatment I'd need. The country we wanted to go to might not let us in if we would be a drain on their health system. And they need to have the facilities modern enough to treat me. And finally, the slot we were to take might have been filled and we would be assigned elsewhere. Even if I were in complete remission they would make me wait a little to see if I stayed that way.
I will likely be retested in June. It will take a miracle for me to be healthy enough to leave by September-- within our 6 month delay period. I'm praying for that miracle, but am willing to bow to the Lord's plan for me.
Friday I went to Dr. Nachtigal, the surgeon to see about getting a port put in. He will do that Monday at 1pm. It will be under anesthetia and take about 20 minutes. He was very good at explaining the procedure and what I could expect. I will see the oncologist on Tuesday and probably start chemo after that.
Friday evening Jonathan, Kristy and family... and dogs...came to visit. It's been delightful. We went to a ward chili cook-off on Friday night. General conference was on Saturday and Sunday. It was wonderful. There are lots of changes that were exciting and I think will help us be better saints. I learned ways to improve my prayers and how to serve better. In celebration of Easter Sunday, it was also special to hear talks on the atonement and resurrection and their vital meaning for our lives.
Sunday Jonathan and Kristy's kids had a lot of fun finding clues that led to their Easter baskets. Zachary had been sick to his stomach the night before. So alas, he was forbidden to eat his candy. However, he carried his basket with him all day... and slept with it at night.
Hope you all had a great Easter weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment