Sunday, February 25, 2018

Week Three Down

We had such a nice time with kids visiting, it was sad to see them go. They were a great help. Deborah kicked off the packing up of the downstairs. Dan helped Tom finish the fence, and Miranda made our front and side yard stick free.

Monday Miranda and I tackled the downstairs kitchen. We found space for some things in the pantry. We decided some things needed to be tossed, and we filled trays with things Tom needed to deal with or I needed to find places for. It felt pretty good to get most all the kitchen done.

The rest of the week was spent on more downstairs boxing and moving. Tom got some of the videos packed up. He pretty much cleaned out the linen closet and the Harry Potter (under the stairs) closet. We organized the food storage pantry better and made room for the sewing dresser to fit inside.  I think we've emptied all the drawers in the suite.

We still have random boxes and bedding for when Andy and crew come. And we still have the antique settee that needs to have the springs retied ... still in all it's loose stuffing glory.

Mid- week I was feeling pretty overwhelmed, but by the end of the week things were looking better. 

I had hoped to be entirely done with my writing by now.  I'd sent off the Eagle draft two weeks ago.  Done several followups, and finally got a message-- the editor who is looking at it says it needs a lot of work... and maybe we'll get it back to you by Tuesday.  Ugh!  They know I only have a week more to work on it.  So that was a bummer.  My hope is that with further examination, they'll say, "We'll fix what we don't like, consider it done."  That's my hope.

My other job is winding down. Deborah did some copy editing for me and I hope that by Tuesday it can be on its way. Since this client likes most everything I do, I don't see a problem with this.

We had a session with a language buddy and our language coach and both were productive. We find that when we follow the study plan, we learn faster. We are learning.... but there's a whole lot to learn.

I spent time this week feeling sad for Cynthia and Jim. Jim has been slow to regain cognitive function. He's been frustrated and disoriented-- wanting to go home, right now.  Our hope and prayer is that with time, he will return to normal.  He is getting his strength back.

This week we checked three more health appointments off our list. I got a cavity filled. Tom got his teeth cleaned, and he had a small basil cell carcinoma removed from his back.  Hopefully that's the last of the back procedures for a while. Today (Sunday) begins the prep for my colonoscopy tomorrow.  Then that will be over!

Thursday we went to dinner at the the house of the bishop whom Tom replaced-- at their Carlton Resort. It was a delightful evening with good food and good conversation.

Friday we had a ward dance-- maybe a belated Valentine's dance.  It was fun to go and visit and eat some tasty finger food and even do an occasional dance.

We've had an amazing amount of rain this week. Over five inches! Part of that was when Tom drove to Bentonville to see Katie swim in the state championships.  She improved her time and in the relays they had faster times, too. So nice to see them working hard.

Sunday Tom and I both spoke in church.  Tom talked about how small and simple things can create a big change in our lives. He showed how small things helped us join the church. And simple things like prayer, scripture reading and keeping the commandments keep us strong in the gospel.

I talked about the joy of missionary work.  I went back through the blog book from our last mission and was impressed once again about the joy and fun we had on our mission.  When I read the posts, I recognize that there were hard times.  Times when we had no electricity, no water, no internet.  Times when friends died and people disappointed.  But through it all we were strengthened by the Lord and felt a true sense of joy and satisfaction.

People ask us if we are excited to go on this mission. The truth is... we're focused on getting through all the things that need to be done before we leave. I expect once we get on the plane to the MTC we will be excited to be going.  Now, it just seems like there are too many hurdles to jump before that time comes.  However, in reading the old missionary blog, it did make me excited to be going.


No comments:

Post a Comment