They will order the parts. We will have to pay some of the cost, but should have a functioning, quieter dryer for a fraction of the price of a new one. In the afternoon, I went visiting teaching.
Tuesday morning we had an appointment with the attorney for new powers of attorney, living wills and durable powers of healthcare. It's a bit sobering to make end of life decisions. But better we do it than leave it for the kids to guess. We hope we've given the kids all the powers they need to take care of any affairs they need to in our absence.
I thought I'd be home sooner and made an appointment for my friend to come over and work on her website. But our appointment ran over. I called my neighbor to keep an eye out for her. And she arrived just a few minutes before I made it home. We were finally able to transfer her website to her domain. We'd been struggling with getting all the pieces together for weeks. After that I spend some time working on the Chad promo.
When Tom came home he went to the neighbors and with another friend, got the last of her leaves collected and hauled off. Tom's project for the week has been to work on the fence along the back of our property. He bought some hefty wooden posts and has been out digging, leveling and pouring cement. In the afternoon, I went out and helped him for a little while.
That evening our friend John came for scripture study.
Wednesday morning, Tom had a re-check at the dermatologists. He thought the incision from the last melanoma looked good and was healing well. However burned off a few suspicious spots on Tom's face and he found another small mole that looked suspicious and biopsied it. It turned out to be a basil cell carcinoma-- not so bad... but still needing some additional attention.
We were supposed to meet with a Croatian speaker over Zoom a bit later... but we never got a way to connect. We've been trying to be a little more diligent with our language training... but it's easy to find other things that seem more urgent. Wednesday I felt like I made serious inroads with the Chad promo. Wednesday evening I started feeling really puny.-- headache, stuffy nose, cough. Even a little achy. Gakk. I had to be healthy for when the grandkids came.
So I started taking Inner Defense every 4 hours. When I got up in the night I took it. And I put Oregano on my feet... as I prefer that to diluted drops in the mouth.
Thursday I finished the hopefully last draft of the Chad promo and sent it to my copy coach. I soaked in the tub for a while. Margaret came over again and we spent about 3 hours working on her website. We finished just in time for our meeting with our language coach. We seem to have a hard time getting the time right-- our time or Mountain time. So we called an hour early. That was good because his other couple he was coaching at that hour was ALSO going to the Adriatic North Mission. And we will be in the MTC together. We are about the same level on the language, so we all worked together.
The hard part was that Miranda arrived just as our coaching session began. So we said a delighted hello, and then abandoned her for an hour.
The good part was that I was feeling better by that afternoon.
Another good part was that I was scheduled to have my colonoscopy on Thursday, but it was postponed because the doctor was sick. I'm so grateful it was postponed. I don't think I could have done the prep while feeling sick. On the other hand, it would have been nice to have it over.
So the fun began! We got to hang out with Miranda, Rachael and Alex Thursday evening. It was so nice to see them.
Baby Rachel is such a happy baby. She smiles at everyone and the boys love her.
Friday Miranda raked up sticks in the front yard, while Alex helped her pick up sticks. While we were away, strong winds blew them down.
The cow's owner came over and he and Tom put in 200 feet of fencing along the back. He was a great help man-handling the roll of fencing and putting it in place. I went out and helped a bit.
Then on Friday afternoon, about 4pm, Deborah and kids arrived. We had been trying to finish up food in the freezer. So Friday we had hamburgers... 12 gone! Dan and Miranda's last two boys arrived later on Friday evening.
Deborah was a big help packing books from the downstairs book shelves. We have three of them... plus a few other photo albums hiding here and there. She was a careful, orderly packer. I know we will appreciate that when it's time to put them back on the shelves.
We had a turkey in the freezer for a while..... Somehow, with turkeys things always get out of hand. We decided it made sense to have turkey for Saturday lunch when we had invited Vela over to visit with Miranda and the rest of us. But if you have turkey... you need to have potatoes and yams and desert and... So Miranda made rolls and funeral potatoes... which were delicious! But somehow the blackberry cobbler didn't get into the oven until just before lunch. So things were a bit hectic and the stuffing never got out of the package.
However, we had a delightful lunch with Vela and spent hours catching up on things. Then Tom and Dan went out to work on the fence. After lunch was cleaned up, Deborah went back to book boxes and Miranda and crew went out for more stick picking up. I went out to help with the fencing.
Ummm. I forgot to mention that Tom invited the sister missionaries over for dinner at 5:30. As I was coming back from the fencing area to check on Deborah, I realized it was 5:10! I walk in the upstairs and there's monopoly, Jenga, and connect 4 on the floor in the living room. The dining room table has two trays of plastic beads and trays (the iron to set kind) plus string and beads on the other end for stringing necklaces. Not to mention the legos and card games on the floor downstairs. AKK!
I called all the kids in to clean up. And they did a really good job! Good thing we'd decided to have turkey sandwiches for dinner. But then I realized some of the kids wouldn't like that. So I took a count of those who preferred quesadillas for dinner and was in the process of making them when the Sister missionaries arrived. Everyon pitched in and soon dinner was on the table. Dan took a hit for the team and went off to buy milk and ice cream to go on the blackberry cobbler we did not eat at lunchtime since Vela brought wonderful chocolate chip cookies.
After dinner Deborah bathed her kids, put them in pajamas and headed home. It was one jam-packed day. On the plus side, we had lovely visiting, we met a new sister missionary, the kids played well together, and Tom and Dan strung another 200 feet of fencing. We watched just a little bit of the Winter Olympics before crawling into bed.
Today there was no choir practice. Tom went in early for meeting and later was released as Young Men's president. For the first time in 7 years, he will not need to go to church on Wednesday. Still, he has worked with the youth for all that time and has a great love for them.
We had good talks on keeping the Holy Spirit in times of trial. Our Stake theme for this year is becoming perfect... eventually. It was encouragement to work toward perfection, but recognize that it's a more-than-a-lifetime goal. To not get caught up in looking at others seeming perfection-- as shown on Facebook and twitter. And to recognize this is just their best side... not necessarily their real side. We can't compare ourselves with others. Only with where we've been and where we want to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment