Monday, November 6, 2017

Week at Mom's

I had such a nice time at Mom's house.  She continued to gain strength to the point that she went back to doing exercises and having a physical therapist come into the home.

Monday we went out to lunch with Cynthia and Regina-- Mom's old upstairs neighbor. We went to this lovely restaurant right on the beach in Laguna Beach. Our table was at the window so we looked over a rose garden to see people walking on a cobbled walk. Then it dropped off to the beach and ocean.
 It was a bit overcast  and drizzly,which was great for Mom since she didn't have to deal with any glare.

Tuesday I had a call with Eagle Publishing and am working on a proposal for some emails and sales material for them.  I think I will enjoy this work.

Cynthia and I went out to get material for strings to hold mom's alert button... so she can be color coordinated with her medical alert necklace and the rest of her attire. Cynthia had a lovely "Adam's Family" dress to try on at the alterations place.  It was stunning.  They marked it for hemming.   Then we went to a wonderful nursery near the Newport Beach Temple.  They had every plant imaginable and some wonderful fountains of polished stone with water bubbling out the top and running down the sides.  I loved this hanging garden on the side of one of the kiosks.

It looked like they filled canvas bags with dirt and then put the plants in the "pocket."  I could have bought a bag for $50. Slightly tempted.

Wednesday I listened to a webinar on line.  Mom and I went through some financial things and then we did a bit of shopping and went out to dinner with Cynthia and Jim.  Mom was imagining the little fish place just down the road, but Cynthia... the driver... was thinking mom meant a place further away in Tustin.  Fishbone.  Or BoneFish... I think.  Anyway, I had a salmon salad and it was delicious!

Then I came home and packed for my trip the next day. I was very proud of myself for getting everything in the suitcase... including 3 yards of upholstery material. I rolled everything!

It was fun on Thursday. I got up... and I didn't have anything to do until Cynthia came for me about 11am.  So mom and I visited and I made a lunch. I used some of the delicious bread Cynthia had made for our Walter Jr. Farewell on Sunday past.

At the airport and on the plane I worked on finishing reviewing the notes I took at Bootcamp. It was a good refresher. I had expected it to be chilly in Arkansas... but it was warmer than California!  Tom met me at the airport and we drove to Conway and spent the night.  Then we continued on home on Friday.

My friend Marian, the potter, has a husband who does forge work.  I'd mentioned I'd love to have a dutch oven stand made from horse shoes.  So he made one for me!  The feet are from an ammo train track spikes, so it has a kind of history. (He also does ordinance disposal, so I guess he's around old ammo train tracks at times.) We stopped and picked that up on the way home.

We also went by the house that Tom spent the past week painting.  It looks much nicer... but the new paint makes the roof look a bit older now.  I spend the rest of the day and most of Saturday unpacking and getting reoriented to the house-- catching up on mail, visiting with cats and chickens. Meeting the cows, transferring documents from laptop to home computer.

Sunday we had a regional conference.  Everyone from California through Texas participated in this conference.  There was talk about the hurricane and the help that came from members around the area.  There was some talk of the California fires. But I don't know how much assistance people needed out there. 

We had a long choir practice and the self-reliance class in the afternoon.  Tom went to West Plains for a meeting.  And we submitted our mission paperwork. Next step: interview with the stake president.  Then our paperwork will be on the way to Salt Lake City.

It's been a good week.  I loved visiting mom and hated to leave.  And yet, it's nice to be home with Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment