Sunday, August 27, 2017

Solar Eclipse Week

Back in mid July, I had ordered some eclipse glasses preparatory for the solar eclipse on August 21.  The price for the glasses was very cheap.  But you had to look carefully.  Some of them said they'd deliver in September... or you could pay $39 for them to arrive in time for the eclipse. So my glasses were due to arrive by August 4th-- before Rebecca left, so she could share some of them with Miranda or Jonathan's families (the cost of 10 was the same as the cost for two.)  Umm. the shipping date kept getting pushed back.  Then, they shipped... but the delivery date came and went with no glasses.  Finally they arrived on Saturday- two days before the eclipse!  Hooray!  So Tom and I went out periodically and watched the eclipse.  It was pretty cool.  Deborah got some great pictures.

This week I made airline reservations to go to my writer's conference in Florida. I made sense to combine this with a trip to Mom's so I will go and visit her from October 21 to November 2.  I decided I didn't want the stress and time waste of looking for prices between three airports in this area, two in Florida and two in California.  So I called USAA travel and they were very good and very fast.  I had specific times I wanted to depart and arrive and of course when you go on the travel websites, they don't give you a comparison of times and prices for each leg.  My only error was that I asked to fly out of Fayetteville, instead of NorthWest Arkansas Regional airport.  So my first booking had me leaving from North Carolina?  Oops.  Fortunately, you have 24 hours to make changes without penalties.

I have been busy and prosperous with my writing. This was the most profitable month of my writing career.  Nice!  I wrote a speech for the CEO of my cannabis cypto-token start-up.  I have a large project I need to get started on that will take serious amounts of work.  And I had an interview with a leading marketing firm in Torrance, CA and may have some work from them.

Tom finished Deborah's kitchen and wondered what he should do next.  That was quickly solved. We had a tenant move out of one of our duplexes and it needed a paint job throughout the house (It had been 6 or more years since that had been done. And the garage needed a bazillion nail holes patched and then painted.  He did a lovely job and it looks great.  He finished just in time for the new tenants to move in this weekend. The old tenant left an old mower there, so Tom was able to mow the lawn twice before bringing it home.

Our beans have been prolific!  We have been enjoying fresh beans. But we have also been sharing them with church members and with the food bank.  I keep thinking they are on the down hill... but each time we pick, I'm astonished! The tomatoes, however, seem to be on their last vine.

Our missionaries decided to host an art show.  They invited everyone in the ward and any of their friends to bring art to display-- fine art, fabric arts, three dimensional art.  It really was a lovely show!  We filled the cultural hall with art.  It was an opportunity to invite friends and to see the talents of others in our ward.  I had a number of complements on my artwork, including from a professional artist in the ward.  Felt good.  One of these days I'd like to go back to painting.

Tomorrow I leave to go to Miranda's for the long awaited birth of Baby Girl McClellan.  I don't think she has a name yet.  It will be fun to play grandma for a while.

I guess that's all the news.


No comments:

Post a Comment