Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year!

It's been a Ho-ho-ho week.  I love it when kids come to visit! Andy and family came and stayed through Sunday. Deborah and the kids came up Sunday afternoon.  Then on Monday we said good-bye to Miranda and family. Deborah and children stayed until Wednesday.

We played card games and Monopoly. The kids played outside the first few days.  Then it rained and rained. So most of the remaining days were inside. Even when it stopped raining, it was cold and soggy outside.  I did get out some real water color paper and helped Camden and  Samantha learn some new water color techniques.  It was fun to pick up a brush again.

One of the neighbors was supposed to take care of Barb's dogs while she went on a trip.  But he flaked out just before Christmas.  So Tom and I took turns going over and visiting the dogs and feeding them and watering the plants.  They are good dogs, just big and sometimes overly friendly. While she was gone, Tom took the time to patch a few spots in her ceiling. There had been rain damage in the past.  It took several trips for adding more drywall compound to the edges and sanding them smooth each time. The dogs were always happy to see him.  He also mulched the leaves in her yard while she was gone and she was very appreciative.

Barb arrived back home on Wednesday and so was willing and able to do cat and chicken duty for us so we could go over to Jonathan's and Kristy's.We both had anticipated a fun, relaxing time together.  But, alas, the flooding of the basement changed plans. We arrived in time to meet them at Lowes to review their purchases to tile one of the basement rooms.  It's currently a food storage room, but it had been a children's play room and Kristy wanted it to look nice for resale value.

They decided on a lovely border design with a contrast trim and then a diamond pattern in the ceter section.  It did turn out to be very attractive... but it was not simple or easy.  Still, with tile, you only have one chance to get it right.  It is not the time to cut corners, skimp, or make do.  Tom and Kristy were the primary tile installers and they were very meticulous.  I was the gofer and Jonathan excelled at tile cutting.


We laid out and cut tile border pieces for the hexagonal part of the room on Thursday.  Friday we started in with the thinset "glue."

It has to be mixed 5 minutes with a drill and mixer blade, then rests for 10 min, then mixed again for 2.  If you don't get the texture correct... forget it... it can't be altered at that stage.  And it only lasts for 2 hours before it must be tossed and replaced.  Fortunately, Tom and Kristy were able to use up the 50 pounds of mixed thinset within the allotted time.  The border tiles were slow. When we got to the center section it went faster.




 Garen was confined to the main floor of the house.  But he was very interested in what was going on downstairs.

Still, when dinner time came around it was definitely quittin' time!  We were all sore and achy.  Isabelle had done a marvelous job of creating their traditional New Year's Eve buffet-- moved to New Year's Day due to the tiling marathon. We spent the evening munching and playing games.  I do think my presence at game tables is to make other players look good. We did not stay up til midnight.  But Kristy and the kids did.

Saturday they were back to tiling by about 8 am.  I worked with them for a while, then remembered I'd promised to help Miriam and Isabelle learn how to make the ribbon lace necklaces.  They both knew how to crochet so they were very fast learners. They made lovely necklaces and now can make more or adapt it to bracelets, headbands, etc..


We hoped to be gone by 1, but the tiling was almost done and Tom wanted to see it through. I packed the car as he finished up.  They planned to do the closet after we left.  And we talked them through the grouting process. They will have the other basement room carpeted.

We had a nice ride home checking out places where water was still standing and watching the lovely sunset.  We stopped at Andy's for an afternoon snack.  It was pleasant to be home in a quiet house. We still have Christmas decorations up... I like them.  Do I have to take them down?

Church was a spiritual feast.  We have had lessons this year on making the Sabbath a delight.  I've focused on trying to keep Sunday a spiritual day and not to work or silly things.  And I've tried to focus on the Savior during the sacrament and listen better to the talks and be prepared for the lessons.  Today as I was washing my hands before going into the chapel, I was reminded Ephraim's      Rescue, a movie of a faithful priesthood holder in the pioneer days who was a great healer.  Each time, he would wash his hands before giving a priesthood blessing.  He said, "We can't be 100% clean, but we can get as clean as we can." I thought how I could be cleaner as I enter the chapel for Sacrament. Could I have purer thoughts? As I washed my hands each Sunday, could I try to increase my spiritual purity.  If I enter the chapel just going through the motions, I'm only hurting myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment