Sunday, January 10, 2016

Back to Normal?

We've been home for the week... with no guests until Friday night. So things are kind of back to normal.  I got back to work with some of my writing projects. I finished some websites and don't have another in front of me.  I've been trying to catch up on some of the courses and programs I've purchased but not plowed through. It's slow going.

Tuesday we put away all the Christmas decorations.  I'd really enjoyed the lights of the tree. We had it on an automatic timer so they were on in the evening and in the early morning until the sun came up. I'd read my scriptures in the chair beside the tree.  I was surprised that it didn't take that long to get all the decorations down and put away.  The house looks a little emptier. We invited guest and the missionaries to dinner.  We had a lovely visit and they lingered longer than I had expected. They were less active and we invited them to church.  They were enthusiastic... but didn't come.

Wednesday we went and put in an offer on a house for Adam's irrevocable trust. It would have been a nice house, with little work needed.  We had to wait until Thursday to submit the offer because the first two weeks are reserved for offers by owner/occupied.  Alas. Wednesday evening Freddie Mac accepted an offer by an owner/occupier.  We will be considered if they fail to qualify, but there is also another offer on the table. So I'm not optimistic.

The Seminary teacher was out of town for a few days. Tom taught seminary on Tuesday morning and I taught the Wednesday evening class.  I was a little apprehensive since I don't know the kids that well, but it went quite well. There was good participation. I was just surprised. Some things in the scriptures I thought would be easy to comprehend, but the students struggled to understand what the scriptures meant.  Perhaps it's the line-upon-line learning... and I don't realize how much I've learned over time.

I was supposed to do pottery on Thursday with Marian, She called to say the heater had been on for three hours and the temperature in the pottery area was only up to 56 degrees so we decided to postpone it.  The weather has turned sharply colder.  Last night it was 18 degrees and didn't get above freezing all day today.  We don't have a good way to keep the cat's water from freezing. We worried about the cats and tried to tarp the chair they use to keep the wind blocked... but it didn't work too well. We do have a large plastic storage bin on it's side with a towel on the bottom that offers some protection.

We also ordered 28 baby chicks for us and three of the kids.  They cost $3.10 each after vaccination.They should be ready on April 12th and Tom decided it would be a fun trip to go and pick them up. (about 5 hours round trip.)

Friday Tom went to prison. We have two former members of the church incarcerated in the Calico Rock detention facility.  It took time and paperwork to clear him and Bro. O'brian to go as ministers and when they went they had a good visit. We have been writing to them and they were thrilled that people cared enough to visit.  When he came home he went and helped a brother move to a new location.

Friday my Relief Society secretary and long-time friend came down from Willow Springs to visit. She spent the night with her daughter Madison. We had tacos for dinner and watched the movie: Behind Enemy Lines.  It was a good reminder of the horrors of war.

Saturday I tried to get myself organized for my trip to Mom's.  Tom will drive me to Tulsa on Monday and I'll fly out on Tuesday. I wanted to organize some things to work on while I travel and while I'm there.  I also had a bunch of things I wanted to finish before I left.  I called all those I visit teach. I got some temple names ready to go. I finished the Relief Society newsletter and worked some on the RS retreat that will be coming up in April. I had purchased a Chrome notebook to use when I travel back in November.  Then I put it aside because it didn't have Word on it. But I wanted to use the light notebook as I traveled. Alas. I discovered it won't hold a charge. Bummer. Emailed NewEgg and we'll see what happens.

Today was a good day at church.  The talks were on turning our hearts to the Savior in Sacrament meeting and understanding the atonement. The Gospel Principles teacher called about 6:30 in the morning to say they had a sick cow out in the 18 degree weather and they needed to work to help it.  So I taught the lesson. It was fun. I like that class.  It was on repentance and we had good class participation.  Tom had Bishop's Youth Discussion after church.  He made them some tortilla wrap snacks and chocolate chip muffins.  I don't think they have any idea all the things he does for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment