I had a fabulous time at Bootcamp,
then a whirlwind to West Plains Ward Conference, and returned home with a
determination to be more structured in my work. That meant getting up at 6am
every morning and trying to be in bed before 10. For the most part it worked.
I had this super-huge deadline by
Friday. I had to revise these emails and direct mail pieces for my financial
publisher. Really that meant rewriting two completely—as they didn’t like the
offer—and substantially revising 2 more. I really liked one of the two in its
more original form, so I rewrite it and then used the three magic words in
copywriting: “Let’s test it.” Until we
get reader response, we are only guessing what will be attractive to them. So I
hope they will do an A/B test and we can see which one draws better… and it
would be satisfying if it were mine.
I did get the project mostly done by
Wednesday, and then most of Thursday was spent reviewing it for all the little
typos and consistencies. Did I ALWAYS italicize the name and add that essential
plural to the last word? It’s the crazy
detailed work that I like least.
I also got two articles out for my
executive coach, researched technologies for my start-up, finalized and revised
a website for them, and very quickly wrote a class description for my life
insurance agent. She’s teaching how to use Living Benefits life insurance to
invest in Real Estate. They were thrilled with my write up. Then I needed to
revise it into a much more boring format… sigh. Next week: the HVAC newsletters
must be completed.
Tom finished the porch roof and it
looks great. The sad thing is that no one can remember what the old ugly metal
roof looked like. The porch roof looks like it’s always been there.
They predicted bad rains coming up
from Texas. We had Texas sized weeds in our garden and wanted to get them out
before the rains. Well, we only got perhaps a third of them out… but we also
only got some sprinkles. We had allowed the sweet potato vine to grow all over
the garden. I pulled up the vines willy-nilly. Then I discovered that every
place it put down roots… which was everyplace it grew, I think. It also put
down sweet potatoes. I think we’re going to have to hand dig half the garden to
find all the potatoes before we rototill. And it’s likely we’ll have volunteer
sweet potatoes for years to come!
Tuesday, the tree trimmer called and
said they could trim the tree at 1111 S. Church Street. The tenant was
concerned the tree was diseased and would fall on the house. I didn’t want to
lose all the shade. So they came and trimmed limbs back and cut out all the
dead wood. While they predicted a kind of lopsided tree, it actually still
looks quite good. I hope the tree will stay a live a while longer.
Friday, Tom was about to go shopping
in town, when he got a call. One of the ward members wanted to cut down a tree
close to his house because he was afraid the next ice storm would drop it onto
his house. Alas, in the cutting process, the tree shifted and crashed onto the
roof of his house. The only up side? It
wasn’t cold, icy, and raining. The down side was two new skylights in his house
from tree branches, broken trusses and the back wall pushed out several inches.
So Tom went over and spent 4 hours with about 7 other guys chain sawing, and
dragging limbs off the roof and out of the house.
My friend has been working on her
necklaces and we went to visit her at a local craft show. She’s excited about
the prospects of the business. Lots of pretty things there. I had to ask
myself, why will I pay extra money for a great front door keypad lock… but not
$30 for a beautiful knitted and beaded scarf?
Warped priorities, probably.
Today I went to our ward for choir
practice and sacrament meeting. Andrew Jiles had just returned from his mission
in Provo, UT and was speaking. It was a good meeting. I left right after to
drive to Ava and arrived just as the Relief Society lesson was starting. After church
I taught a teacher development lesson for the Relief Society teachers. My basic
question was: Do you know, when the sisters walk out of the RS room that they
have understood the lesson and will apply it in their lives? Then we spent the rest of the time talking
about how we can get the Gospel principles into the hearts of the sisters and
what evidence we might have that this was occurring.
It was a lovely drive through beautiful
fall colors. The ward had a gorgeous maple tree.
After I got home, I took a short
nap. Then our home and visiting teachers came, and we had various phone calls
and letters to send out.

I think we have the same warped priorities with money. Sigh.
ReplyDelete