Here are photos of our Saturday trip to the falls.
And to the Rexburg Temple.
The beginning of the week started at Adam and Savannah's. We had such lovely weather. It was cool. Sometimes cool and rainy! I think I dressed more warmly there than I did in Colorado. It was about 50% in the mornings!

Monday we went to see the rose garden next to the visitor's center. The rose garden was underwhelming. I think Savannah's Mom's front yard has more roses. But the kids had fun running on the circular walk ways and we got lots of information at the visitor's center. There was also a monument to Chief Pocatello and we learned a lot about him and the government's less than stellar treatment of the indians. We stopped at Deseret Industries and spent a whole $1.50 in purchases. It was raining and cold by the time we were headed home for lunch. In the afternoonTom and I went back to Deseret Book to get garments. Monday night we babysat while Adam took Savannah out to the theater for her birthday.
Tuesday morning I made a cheese cake for Savannah's birthday. "Happy Birthday, Savannah!" In the afternoon we went to registration rock and a park on the Snake River. Registration rock has names and dates of pioneers etched on it. It was a small park with a little stream running by and enough rocks for the kids to climb on.
The other park had a lovely nature trail with native fauna. I learned the value of sage brush... which things I never knew before. We saw a snake and some rabbits. There were many rocks to climb there as well as a few cacti for kids to learn from. We visited the nature center. There were two frisbee golf courses there, but we did not partake. At the far end of the park there was a trail leading to ruts made by the pioneer wagons. The kids were really quite good at hiking these trails. I gained a lot of respect for the pioneers and the leaders who guided them through these rocky areas. While the snake river was close by, it was often flowing between rock walls. How awful it must have been to have water so near, yet so inaccessible.
After the two miles of hiking, Savannah promised the children could wade in the river. Alas, the only access was at the boat launch ramp and it was slick with algae. They might have only gotten their toes and knees wet... if they had not each slipped on the algae and gone down. So... they changed into dry swim suits for the ride home. Adam was home by then and made carbonara for Savannah's birthday dinner.
Wednesday we headed for the museum of natural history. It was on the college campus. While it was small, it had a nice little kid's playing area and some very big bones! We saw mastodon bones and a giant sloth and sabertooth lions. We also saw little bones. Now I know what a snipe is! If I ever go snipe hunting, I'll know what to look for. It's a small gray and white striped bird with a very long, thin beak.
We had fun with Denali, Carter, Piper and baby Miley. They are good kids and fun to be around. Tom and I read them stories. Tom wrestled with them and we watched them climb trees and play nicely with each other. They are very gentle with little Miley.
Thursday we started for home. We had some books on tape to listen to and made it to North Platte for the night. Friday we still had about 700 miles to go. We stopped at a Carlos O'kelley's for lunch of naked nachos. I think the plate size is shrinking... but it was still flavorful. We also stopped at Gordon's orchard and bought two boxes of peaches. They are so much more tasty than the store-bought kind!
We arrived home to find one less kitten and one less chicken. So Monday we will get a trap for the racoons. I was sad that Maple, the ginger colored kitten had been attacked. We've decided to cage the calico one at night until we've solved the raccoon problem.
Saturday, I dug into work on the computer and Tom did the honors with the peaches. He canned three batches of peach slices and halves. Only one bottle broke in the canner and all the other sealed. We still have some eating peaches... but he might also try for a batch of jam on Monday.
Before and after pictures.
The canning stopped so we could attend a 1pm baptism of a young man. He seems very nice. We hope to have him over for dinner this next week.











No comments:
Post a Comment