Sunday, May 31, 2015

Funeral #2

Monday Deborah and family left. It was so nice to have them come and visit us.

We “hot-sheeted” the beds. In military parlance, to “hot seat” means that one guy hops out of the pilot seat and another takes his place. Here, the Reck family moved out of downstairs and we opened the rooms for the children of Larry Baize who came for his funeral.

That early evening we watched “Meet the Mormons.” Tom had seen it… I think… but I had not. We now had the DVD and I think it’s on Netflix. Good movie. I just gives outsiders an inside look at how some Mormons live—A female kick boxer from Costa Rica,  A black bishop from Atlanta, an Indian philanthropist, an Annapolis football coach, and the Utah mother of a missionary.

I was still a little under the weather, so I kind of took it easy this week.

Tuesday was Larry Baize’s funeral. Tom officiated and he really spent a lot of time struggling with the right things to say. They played a video of pictures from his life. It was nice to see pictures of doing ordinary things. I wondered, do we have pictures like that?  Sad, sad for the widow and family.

Wednesday I had an eye exam. They dilated my eyes this time, ugh. Then I looked SO stylish in the sunglasses as we went to Home Depot for a light fixture. Tom was replacing one in the S. College house. He also refinished one if the bedroom floors. The hardwood now matches the rest of the house. (It had been carpeted.)

I did some Donop family history. It’s fun and rewarding to put in the names from Walter’s extensive family pedigree chart. I hope I’m reading the German names correctly. But when Family Search says there are duplicates, I seldom have enough information to know for sure if they are really the same person… or not.

We’ve had a tremendous amount of rain. Since we had parts of a dry day or two, I decided I’d better tackle the garden before it was a total weed patch.  Thursday I hacked down the going-to-seed green onion patch and removed some volunteers encroaching into the rest of the garden. Friday I rototilled. Did you know that when the tiller bounces, it can go high enough to grab the fence?

Amazingly, Tom loosened it without much damage to the fence… and it proceeded to rototill quite nicely again. I however, didn’t try to turn narrow corners near the fence again.

Thursday we visited our attorney. We need to decide to what degree we want to protect our assets from law suits or from loss if we go into nursing homes, and what kind of control are we willing to give up. Oh… and how much do we want to play for the “insurance.”

Friday Tom and I went to see the new Avenger movie. Lots if gratuitous destruction and violence against robots… of course the robots were trying to kill everyone. It was sort of like the bad dream where you never really kill the bad guy. He always resurrects and comes back. While we were in the theater we could hear the rain pounding down.

It cleared up enough for Tom to mow the yard. It needed it. Now it looks beautiful.

Today, Church was nice. Good speakers. Soon we’ll drive to West Plains for a zone conference for the missionaries and the stake. They are always good experiences. We’ll take two cars. Tom will leave with the truck and head to Jonathan and Kristy’s to help them with their last moving trip. I have a carful of people to take up.

No comments:

Post a Comment