Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blessings of Reading the Book of Mormon

This year we will study the Book of Mormon in Seminary. I looked up the blessings of reading the Book of Mormon: Increased faith, more of the spirit of the Lord in your homes, strengthened resolutions to be obedient, greater ability to resist temptations, increased reverence, mutual respect and consideration.  more righteousness, faith and hope. More desire to do right. and so on.
Here are the quotes.

Let us not treat lightly the great things we have received from the hand of the Lord! His word is one of the most valuable gifts He has given us. I urge you to recommit yourselves to a study of the scriptures. Immerse yourselves in them daily so you will have the power of the Spirit to attend you in your callings. Read them in your families and teach your children to love and treasure them” (Ezra Taft Benson, “The Power of the Word,” Ensign, May 1986, 82).

President Gordon B. Hinckley encouraged us to read and study the Book of Mormon “Its appeal is as timeless as truth, as universal as mankind. It is the only book that contains within its covers a promise that by divine power the reader may know with certainty of its truth. Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God”

There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment
you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called 'the words of life' (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater
and greater abundance” (President Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, Nov. 1986, 7).

I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon
prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow.
The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—[p. 120] will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.” Marion G. Romney.

“I think that people who study the scriptures get a dimension to their life that nobody else gets and that can’t be gained in any way except by studying the scriptures. There’s an increase in faith and a desire to do what’s right and a feeling of inspiration and understanding that comes to people who study the gospel—meaning particularly the Standard Works—and who ponder the principles, that can’t come in any other way” (Bruce R. McConkie, in Church News, 24 Jan. 1976, 4).

“I challenge every Latter-day Saint to come to a knowledge and an understanding of the scriptures. These sacred books are our bulwark of defense against a cunning adversary” (Marvin J. Ashton, in Conference Report, Oct. 1977, 110; or Ensign, Nov. 1977, 73).

“I promise you that daily family prayer and scripture study will build within the walls of your home a security and bonding that will enrich your lives and prepare your families to meet the challenges of today and the eternities to come” (L. Tom Perry, in Conference Report, Apr. 1993, 113; or Ensign, May 1993, 92)

I promise you that if you will read the words of that writing which we call scripture, there will come into your heart an understanding and a warmth that will be pleasing to experience. Gordon B. Hinkley.  Improvement Era, June 1966, 531)

I am grateful for emphasis on reading the scriptures. I hope that for you this will become something far more enjoyable than a duty; that, rather, it will become a love affair with the word of God. I promise you that as you read, your minds will be enlightened and your spirits will be lifted. At first it may seem tedious, but that will change into a wondrous experience with thoughts and words of things divine. (Gordon B. Hinckley, “The Light within You,” Ensign, May 1995, 99)

On Principles: “As you seek spiritual knowledge, search for principles. Carefully separate them from the detail used to explain them. Principles are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances. A true principle makes decisions clear even under the most confusing and compelling circumstances. It is worth great effort to organize the truth we gather to simple statements of principle” (Elder Richard G. Scott, Ensign, 11/93, 87).

  "In preparation for today, I set aside some time to read the Book of Mormon in a short period of time. It changed my life. I had a feeling that I had not had before. It was as if I had always read the Book Of Mormon as if it were in snapshots. Suddenly, I saw it as a movie, in full color and wide screen. People became more real to me, The Savior and his visit was almost as if I had been there.  You want your students to see that their challenge is not to prove that the Book of Mormon is true, but to prove to God that they are true. When they do this, they will know that the book is true. And when they prove that they will do what it says, God will tell them more.  …. But your students will prove the Book of Mormon, as they will prove all scripture, by themselves saying, "I believe it is true; I will try it." Once they have proved themselves to God, then the proof will come to them because they will see the spiritual fruit. "I beg of you, for yourselves and for the students, to have faith that they will want to read it, not that you must drive them to it, but that it will draw them to it as it will draw you. I urge you that when you feel you are too tired and do not want to read, that you would have the confidence that Nephi knew how to help. The Lord wrote the book. He showed Nephi how to do it in such a way that it would draw you. And, it will draw your students." -Elder Henry B. Eyring, 17 August 1990


“Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do” (2 Nephi 32:3).


No comments:

Post a Comment