Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Great Week at Mom's


This has been a fun week at Mom’s house.  Tom has done many small… and not so small honey-do’s.  He’s repainted the front door and changed out the weatherstripping.  He’s adjusted closet doors to slide smoothly, found and installed flow reducers on the shower heads, fixed a chair, changed florescent bulbs in the kitchen and other lights, moved the light over the dining room table so it’s centered over the table… and likely more things I don’t know about.

Monday Mom and I drove to Sally's.  Lisa and Sally joined us and drove to the Swiss park where we had a lovely lunch with the Swiss Ladies organization.  Mom joined and got a great welcome with lots of applause.

Sally shared some Donop genealogy—folders of it—and I’ve taken it back to Mom’s to check out.  In the evening, we went to see slides of India.  It was very interesting.

Tuesday I sent off some spec writing assignments I did.   I looked some at the Donop genealogy.  I was invited to be interviewed for the Professional Writers’ Alliance.  Nice.  Mom ended up moving her arm wrong and feeling a “snap” in her shoulder.  So she tried to keep her arm immobile.  We shopped and fixed dinner—a simple one—and invited Cynthia and Jim over.

Wednesday Mom and Pat and I went to her Circle meeting at church.  They are a lovely group of women and we had a nice time.  Came back and then headed to San Diego to see Randy Stedman graduate from the Sheriff acadamy.  It was fun to see Randy and Cynthia and their baby, Jude.  Lisa and Russ were also there and Sally and Steve and lots of Randy’s family. 
 This was the sunset that evening!

 We stopped at the commissary as we were already on Miramar.  Then went to a great Mexican place for early dinner.  It helped us miss the traffic going back home.

Thursday  at 6am I had my mastermind call.  Usually it’s 8am central time.  This felt EARLY.  I was supposed to initiate the call… and I couldn’t remember my password on Skype.  I was up way too late on Wednesday trying to get that sorted out.

Later Thursday we went and did two sessions at the Newport Beach Temple.  It was lovely to go there.  We had some rain which was nice and refreshing, too.

 We took route 1 on the way home from the temple.  It's so beautiful and typically Southern California.


Friday I had lunch with Cynthia near her work.  It was fun to just sit and talk.   In the afternoon I worked on Donop Genealogy.

Saturday I walked with Tom.  He’d been walking every morning.  I hadn’t.  I should have.  I was really sore after the walk.   Cynthia, Jim, Mom, Tom and I went to the opera.  It was the  New York Metropolitan Opera opening day of  L’ Elizire (?)  The Elixir of Love by Donazetti.   It was very enjoyable.  We saw it on the large screen at a theater.  Great singing, fun acting, and a romping plot.  In between acts, we got some interviews with the singers and producers and some looks into the back stage.  Apparently this simulcast production started with 6 theaters and now it’s shown in hundreds.

Sunday Tom and I went to the Lake Forest Ward where we’d attended when we lived in El Toro.  After church Mom and I and Cynthia went to the community concert to hear a string quartet.  They were lively and played a variety of music.  I enjoyed it.  We came home in time to turn around and go to Cynthia and Jim’s for dinner.

Mom’s shoulder is feeling some better, but not great.  So she’ll go see a doctor… if she ever finds the time.

We’ve been having a really lovely time here.  It will end all too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment