Sunday, February 12, 2012

Crystal Bridges Museum


This was a good week.  On the work side, I spent a lot of time working on writing pages for my modest teen fashion website.  I finally decided on a domain name: www.TeenStyleU.com.  But it is not yet up.  I need to have about 20 pages before it can go online.  Right now, I have about …er…7.   I’m hoping Deborah will help with the webhosting.  And I have a lovely young woman helping with some of the coordinated wardrobes.

I met with our attorney about writing for his website.  He is just putting it up and there is lots to do.  I don’t know for sure that it will work out. As he says, this is hard for him, as he’s sure he can do it better than anyone else.

My sweet little ladies from Gift-Tiques decided to forego a website for the time being. “I just don’t have time to fool with it,” she said.  And she’d posting on Facebook, so her customers are seeing what’s new.  I knew I’d underpriced myself.  And I’d really been putting in a lot of time.  I realized I was happy with her decision when I burst out in a round of the Hallelujah Chorus when I hung up.  Maybe we will continue working together at a later date… and that’s fine.  But I’m glad to be free to pursue other things now.

The Church St. house rented. Yippee! The Main Street house is coming along.  Vanity installed last week.
Upstairs with nice view.
  Floors are next.  We think… cross our fingers… that the wood floors are salvageable. 
 Still.... from the outside... it still looks like a work in progress!

We never seem to stop working while we are home.  So Friday, I took Tom on a trip.  We traveled through Eureka Springs to check out porches on all their “painted ladies” to see what kind of porch we wanted on the Main St. House.  It was fun to drive around this old town with all its lovely architecture.

We also went to Bentonville to the Crystal Bridges fine art museum.  It was delightful.  The first gallery housed American Artists from early American history. There were some wonderful renditions of Indians. Each gallery proceeded with a later era.  I didn’t think to take pictures until we were into a more modern time, but it was delightful.  Tom said, “I can’t believe you got me into an art museum for 2 hours!”… And it wasn’t that bad at all.
 Above: Rosie the Riveter by Norman Rockwell.  Love the strong arms.  Below. Pinocchio and some cute guy.
 This is a close up of a watercolor.  I have not idea how he did the water drops.
 This was an entire room made of marquetry--inlaid wood.
 What do you do with 9000 spools of thread?.. And why upside down? A crystal ball where the men are standing flips the image and you see... the last supper.
 For our jig saw aficionados, this art work is all made of part of jig saw puzzles.
 This self portrait was SO REAL!!  I could see the individual hairs on the head.
 For Sue and Steve- the old clock repair man.
 This piece of art played a piece by Handel when you stomped on the floor in front of the horn.
 I'll post photos of the museum in the next blog.  The design is a piece of art in itself.  It was a fun day.  I remembered once again that the richness of a piece of art-- in oil, in person-- is so much more than it appears in a copy.  We had a nice Mexican lunch/dinner before we started back home.

Saturday Tom attended the World Wide Leadership training.  I did a little thrift shopping, and made Jonathan’s pizza for dinner.  Now if I could only learn how NOT to burn my mouth on the pizza.

Today was Ward Conference.  Good speakers.  (Tom spoke.)  Good lessons. Choir sang… and it really sounded nice. (We have a new choir director and she’s demanding more.) A good day.

1 comment:

  1. That does look like a pretty cool museum. We thought about going there as well - and inviting you to meet us. But as our what-if never became a let's-do-it, we never mentioned it to you. :) I'm much more motivated now that I have more clue what is there!

    ReplyDelete