Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday!

I've been having a great time with Mom.  Friday Mom had a balance class.  She went to her class and I walked up the hill from Polly's to gate 10 and back.  Good exercise.  We looked at a few shops.  I visited Salvation Army.  Mom got a lovely fall table cloth and napkins to decorate her dining room for Thanksgiving.  We came home to a late lunch and had Olive Garden leftovers for dinner.

Saturday Mom and I took a walk in the morning.  The trees here are so lovely.  I am in awe at the variety of tree bark.  We have eucalyptus trees with a molting beige bark and some that peal layer upon layer of bark so it almost looks as if the tree will shed its entire skin.  We have black craggy bark of pine trees and gray fissioned bark of some kind of weepy tree with seed nodes along each small branch.  There is something to be said for the eternal summer here.  Agapanthis and lantana spread their colors.  Roses bloom red and yellow. We pass a thicket where enthusiastic seeds of pines and some small leafed trees have been allowed to flourish.  If not checked the whole hillside will become forest.  The mornings bring fog.  I've been waking up early--5:30-6 and so have a chance to see daylight ease through the thick gray mass that drapes over and hides the hills, the houses and the fence line that's mere feet from the house.  Gradually the dark lightens to brighter gray, and about mid-morning the sun breaks through and shreds the last wisps of fog.

Saturday Mom spent time painting.  I spent time cleaning up my inbox on the computer and organizing files.  It's been leisurely and delightful.  In the evening we went to Cynthia and Jim's for dinner. My sister and husband, Sally and Steve, joined us and my cousin, Sherrill and Aunt Ruth also came.  We had lively conversations.  We even amiably covered politics and religion-- quite a feat since we have many divergent views.  We had a chance to catch up on how others were spending time, jobs, and children.  It is awesome to have good family!

I did plan to take pictures of family... and even tree bark... so the blogs would not be so visually boring.  But #1. I forgot to take pictures.  #2. I forgot to bring the cord to transfer pictures from camera to computer.  Sorry.

Today we picked up a friend of Mom's and went to her Bible study.  Had a good discussion of John 15.  Had a chance to visit with Cynthia and Jim and then had service from 11-12.  As always, the music is delightful.  A children's choir sang and I was reminded of when we lived in San Diego-- I was likely between 4 and 7.  I think all of us kids sang in the children's choir.  We had choir robes. Oh, I was so proud to wear that robe and sing with a big group in front of the church.  Although I think I was glad to be one of many. I think that was when I first began singing.

After church we had lunch with Cynthia and Jim.   Then came home and rested.  Hope your Sabbath was delightful, too.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog background! And my children sang delightfully this morning in church! You must have helped pass that gene along.

    ReplyDelete