Sunday, July 4, 2021

Happy 4th of July!

 This week much thought and effort went into organizing the kitchen. Where is the best place to put dishes, or pots and pans? What is the most efficient use of cabinets, cupboards and drawers? Currently blue tape signifies the contents of most cupboards and drawers so we know where things are hiding. Placement of some items seem intuitive, but others are a challenge. Callie and Rebecca have been most helpful in moving things back into the kitchen and providing some semblance of organized chaos. They had to wait until Friday when Nathan arrived with a new lazy susan for the corner cabinet to move a couple of food boxes out of the living room, which by the way is now 90% empty of kitchen stuff! Trying to find shelf and drawer organizers has been interesting. Finding a bin or shelf that fits the specific size that will hold the required item is not always possible, so sometimes second best will do until enough thrift stores have been visited to find that correct item.

I spent a few hours spread over a couple of days patching the hole in my closet wall which was required to run power to the new kitchen circuits. Was even able to match the paint. During this development, my clothes were scattered in two different rooms. Now they are back where they belong.

We had a light rain Thursday evening, but that did not deter Callie from mowing as much of the yard as she could. She finished up the next morning - after running three miles with her mom and sister (who then ran another 3-5 miles). And the past two nights have been delightful with temperatures in the low 60s.

The great news of the week was that the flooring store called to say I could come and pickup my flooring. On Monday I had brought him a drawing to compute the needed amount but then didn't hear anything. I stopped by twice and learned why the silence. He is overwhelmed with work. One big project is a new assisted living facility that has been consuming his time. Another reason for the delay was because my order was in the back corner of his storeroom on the bottom. I stopped by Thursday afternoon to pick up my order; I ended up buying more than needed because he gave me a greater discount (already had a 10% military one) since it was the last of that pattern. So did I really save any money by purchasing more at a lower price than if I had only bought what I needed at a greater price?

Now that I finally had flooring, I had a lot of inertia to overcome. Actually, I was stalling since I wanted this project to be done properly and it needs to look good. It was 10 Friday morning before I started and then it took me an hour to get the first 5 pieces cut and in place. As the first row goes, so goes the rest of the floor. After two partial days of installing 12" x 24" vinyl planking, my knees are revolting, so I am glad to take the Sabbath off. I offered the younger grands to come inspect often, looking for tiles that did not set tightly, paying them $1 for each crack they found. It has been successful in that they found a couple of places that did not seat tightly. By Saturday evening, about 2/3s of the floor is done.

Saturday morning I took Deborah's family (who had arrived Friday afternoon) back to the house that had the downed tree in it that we had partially cleaned up a week ago with Rebecca's family. There was a smaller load of limbs to load which the family did quickly. I on the other hand was not successful in cutting the remaining 20 feet of the trunk. The chain saw had issues. So we cleaned up and stopped by the donut place to reward our efforts. I returned later to finish cutting and loading the trunk.  About 2 pm, we started the bon fire; there was sufficient limbs, branches and such to form three piles; as the first one burned down, I used the tractor to push the next pile in until it was all consumed. But there was sufficient coals for the grands to roast marshmallows for s'mores after dinner. There was still some smoke this morning.

Testimony meeting today was great.  Lots of faith shared thoughts about the founding of this country and on our Savior, Jesus Christ. One 27 year old young lady shared how she had grown up in this ward, moved away, left the church and then came back to the church because this is the only place she felt the love of the Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment