Sunday, November 15, 2020

Arkansas Happenings.

The days alternate from lazy to too busy. This was one of those fluctuating weeks. Monday and Tuesday I put the finishing touches on the rent house so it could be put on the market. Had to wait until the power was back on Tuesday morning to vacuum and clean the kitchen floor. Filled out the normal disclosure statement which contains a lot of interesting, but non-applicable questions. Signed the right to sell application with the realtor. Now, let the bidding begin!

Tuesday during seminary I got a text from the elder's quorum president wishing me (Marine Corps) 'happy birthday'. So I invited him over that evening for cake. Callie made a delicious round two layer chocolate cake that afternoon and the EQ president showed up with his wife and two members of their presidency - they came straight from their weekly meeting. Following tradition, the first slice of cake went to the youngest Marine present (the EQ president's wife) and the second slice to the oldest (that would be me). Had a good time visiting before they departed.

Church members have access to six canoes and they see a lot of action during the warmer months. I had taken on the role of maintaining them since no one else seemed interesting in caring for them. Recently, a young family used them; the father had fond memories of canoeing with them 20 plus years ago as a youth and wanted to ensure they would still be functional for years to come. He had some brackets welded on the trailer supports so the straps had some place to be secured. Unfortunately, if they aren't idiot proofed, the straps get lost or abused. So I brought the canoe trailer with canoes to the house, purchased some new straps with keepers on the hooks, cut the straps so there is only 12 inches of excess and then used hog rings on the end to prevent the straps from pulling through the ratchet. Time will tell if my efforts will be successful.

And I mention the canoes because a 90 year old church member had two canoes she and her husband purchased, probably in the 1980s, and had no need for them. So she donated them. I went over to her house Thursday, met with her ministering brother and the elders, and worked on repairing her fence, moving a compost pile and loading the canoes on my trailer to bring home. I had to hurry since I had a phone call with a stock broker to attend to. But that had to be cut short since I was asked the day before to participate in a funeral of an 81 year old church member. I had assisted in clothing his body the day before at the funeral home. This is the third funeral in two weeks.

Friday I got the two additional canoes cleaned and ready to haul to the garage where they are kept. On Saturday I made two trips to get all the canoes safely stored in the garage across from the chapel.

One of the ward families with seminary aged youth has pancake breakfast for all the seminary youth each Friday. So Callie and I went again this week. Always look forward to opportunities to associate with our youth; they are exemplary. And Friday night this family hosted a movie night for the seminary youth and we watched "The Fighting Preacher".  Great movie about a couple called on a five year mission to Palmyra NY in 1915 and were released almost 30 years later!

Callie continues to spoil me with great meals, some of which she is trying for the first time and they turn out excellent all the time. She has also been a big help sorting through the books in the library. She has organized them according to subject and we made labels to identify which shelf they go on. Hopefully visiting youthful readers will help us keep the books organized!


 And we managed to go running three times this week; and while Callie won't admit it, she is a good runner.

I was awakened at midnight last night by a magnificently wonderful thunderstorm; that means there was lots of bright flashes of light and rumbling thunder...and 3/4 of an inch of rain in short order. And the wind was blowing the rain horizontal. Now I am glad I didn't rake any leaves yet; the trees are almost denuded and there is a carpet of leaves covering the yard. Let the fun of raking begin! or not.

We are excited for the arrival of Rebecca and girls this evening. Rylee had some teeth extracted on Friday and they were on the road early Saturday morning. Let the party begin...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment