It is Sunday morning; outside it is gray, chilly and gloomy. But there is a fire burning in the fireplace that provides warmth and comfort inside, so I am happy and comfortable.
I attacked the deck with minor enthusiasm; partly because I saved the more challenging parts for the end, and also because I knew I would be at least one plank short. I had previously miss cut a piece too short and knew I would be one short. However, I need two more pieces. The old planks are about 1/2 inch wider than the new ones. When calculating how many I needed I just counted the planks when I should have measured the distance. But I feel better about needing two more pieces than just one. Once I get those and install them, the project will be complete.
I also installed some GFIs at a rent home. It was built back in the day of two wire, so most of the outlets are only two prong. The new tenant works from home, has computers and a need for three prong outlets. Problem is hopefully solved.
I drove out Wednesday to visit a friend who rebuilt a 1931 Model A. He took me for a ride in his car; he had some concerns about how it handled on the road. He lives two miles off a paved road, so it is hard to judge when you really never get out of second gear. We were about one mile from his house when the engine died; out of gas, on a narrow two lane dirt road. In less than a minute a pickup truck stopped to see if we needed help, and yes they had gas which we gratefully accepted. Tom let me drive the A back to his house. Runs better than mine. I think he needs to get the car on the real road and gain experience driving it to build up his confidence.
Fall is here; don't seem to see the variety and brilliance of colors of previous years, but the leaves are definitely falling in great quantities.
The excitement of the week transpired Friday night. Katie was able to attend the Memphis Temple to receive her own endowments. Eight other family members were able to join her for this momentous occasion: her parents, Deborah and Ian, Miranda and Dan, and both grandfathers were there. We had our own personal session with the temple presidency officiating. It was a very spiritually inspiring time for all of us, especially because it has been so long since any of us have been able to attend the temple.
One of our group found a BBQ restaurant with a gun range; so you know where we ate dinner. While eating my beef brisket, I could look through the window at the indoor range and the shooters firing away at their targets. They also bought and sold weapons. I was afraid we would never get out of the place knowing the penchant for the younger generation to drool over weapons and shooting. But we did!
After attending the temple, we found a frozen custard place and just had to pay them a visit; after all, it is tradition! Not as good as Andy's Frozen Custard, but it still hit the spot and was a fitting ending for the day.
Saturday morning after breakfast at Panera's, we headed our separate ways to our own homes. Once home it was a good afternoon to be a slug.




No comments:
Post a Comment