Sunday, April 26, 2020

26 April 2020

Monday I mowed the yard.  I do like a zero turn mower. I also made another attempt at stopping a roof leak at one of our rentals. I had installed a deck over a porch roof and somehow water was leaking into the downstairs. I had to remove several decking boards and then used rolled roofing to cover the potential leaking area. It has rained since without any leak.

Tuesday I received a call:  is my trailer available? Turns out a good friend was given a 14 foot fiberglass boat and trailer (neither are licensed) and he needed a way to get it home. I offered to go along and assist. Another local friend picked me and the trailer up about noon and then drove to Yellville (25 miles away) to pick up the friend receiving the trailer. Then we drove into the boondocks, another 25 miles away. The original boat owner is a diabetic amputee and had no use for a boat. We got it loaded and then drove to its new home and then we came home and parked the trailer. What I thought would be an easy task turned into a four hour interesting expedition. 

I spent the remained of the day working in the garden and got several vegetables planted. I hope they do as well as the weeds. I also packed for my next great adventure.

Wednesday morning I headed west. The plan was to stop in Springdale to visit Deborah's family and then drive to Tulsa. Miranda and family are prepping their house to put on the market and there were some tasks that needed doing. 

One of those tasks involved roof water intrusion. They have a covered porch off the back sliding door that is almost a flat roof; when it was last shingled they used the same architectural shingles as installed on the rest of the roof. Because of the relative flatness of the roof, it allowed water to pool near the end, which eventually rotted a section of the roof about three feet by 10 feet. While Dan worked from home on Thursday, I ripped off the shingles and the damaged sheathing and went to Home Depot to obtain the necessary supplies. I was able to brace the roof, install new sheathing, shingles, facia and soffit. Dan finished his work by 4 pm and came out to tackle removing the siding on the chimney and replacing it. They had some left over siding from my last trip when we replaced a good portion of one exterior wall. He hauled the saw horses up on the roof and cut the pieces there while I finished my roof job. Then we worked together. Because rain was forecasted that night, we felt pressure to finish the job. It started to get dark and Miranda brought out a bright light so we could finish. Dan was the brave one contorting his body to reach the out of the way area on a steep roof. We didn't come in until 945 pm, and then it didn't really rain at all. Dan did go back and caulk where needed the next day. 




The next two days were spent helping with a variety of small jobs. And we discovered that the local Salvation Army was still excepting donations even though the store was closed. We took a van load of stuff for drop off. Most importantly, we went to Andy's Frozen Custard for my traditional hot fudge sundae. I also got to Sprouts Market. But instead of scooping my own peanut clusters and such into bags, they were already prebagged.  

Friday night Camden was baptized. The bishop officiated and family and friends zoomed in for the occasion. Even his school teacher 'attended'. Some of the participants in the program were located elsewhere which added to the uniqueness of the event.

We did take time to have some fun and relax. The children are rather energetic! 



Observations:  In driving around a large city, I noticed that many businesses are closed. Eating places that have a drive through window are doing a great business. Pizza places are too; if you are picking up an order, they request you wait in your car and will bring your order out. Except for those wearing protective gear, it was business as usual at Home Depot. I wonder if people are now tackling all those jobs they put off doing until they had the time.

Today was home church. The local ward actually had a zoom meeting; about 50 people were logged in. One family recently had two sons return from the missions and both spoke; the one to Mexico came home after 21 months; the younger one had been out 14 months in the Philippines and plans to finish his time when he is able. It was nice to have more than one participate in the sacrament. And then Miranda did a fun Primary activity that involved identifying Primary songs and singing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment