Monday was a sad day. Rebecca and Adam's families left! Katie joined Tom and Rebecca's family in the van to help with the driving and we were on our way to Springfield by 11 am. We caravaned to Andy's frozen custard for one last indulgence, said our goodbyes and parted ways. Adam to the airport and Rebecca to Jonathan's for a couple of days. After getting Rebecca unloaded, visiting briefly with Jonathan and Kristy, Katie and I headed home. We made a brief stop at Menard's for a couple of items, then at Aldi's to restock the pantry and then on home. In our absence, Miranda had been busy washing towels and sheets and making beds. Her service was much appreciated!
For the past several years, Rebecca and family have joined us for 4-6 weeks during the summer. She spreads out in the room available, retracts into a smaller space when required and when she leaves, it is as if she was never here. She cleans up after herself and always manages to take all her stuff with her; she has never left anything behind. There are some family members who leave the occasional footwear and item of clothing behind when they visit for only a few days.
Tuesday morning Katie was out on the tractor bush hogging the west pasture while I mowed our overgrown yard. In the afternoon, we took the mowers and mowed Adam's rent house and then drove to Deborah's rent house and did the same. We had to stop for milk shakes on the way home. Susan and Steve spent two days on the road and arrived in time for dinner. We are being well cared for!
Wednesday, I took Katie back to Deborah's house and we painted the paneled room to match the rest of the interior. Katie left mid afternoon to return home and her family. She is a great worker and her assistance is always appreciated.
Thursday I had a chiropractor appointment first thing in the morning; my lower back was complaining again. Then I spent the rest of the day at Deborah's house, painting and cleaning up. Discovered that the water to the bath sink was shut off; turns out the drain pipe was corroded out and leaking, so they just turned off the water. Too bad they didn't call the property manager so that problem could have been resolved. Then I found the basket strainer in the kitchen sink was leaking. It appeared the tenant had tried to put some caulking around it, but that didn't work. Again, why not a call to the property manager?
Friday I was up about 330 am to get to the chapel by 445 am. It was ward temple day. 9 of us showed up and we drove two separate cars. A good time was experienced by all, and we were back on the road by 3 pm, arriving home by 8 pm. Having Susan and Steve here meant I was able to be gone all day at the temple. They are quick learners in finding things in the house!
Saturday I returned to my labors at Deborah's house. When I went to rinse out the bath tub, I discovered that after about a quart of water, the tub backed up. Wait, didn't the cleaning lady clean the tub? Didn't she notice this? Did she pass that information on? Of course, the tenant never spoke up either. There is a partial basement which allowed me access to the p-trap; upon removing this pipe, the largest hairball I have ever seen fell out. Tub now drains properly. Dinner included fresh corn from the garden; sure tastes good. And I need to pick the rest of the corn before it gets over ripe. We will be enjoying corn for several days.
Some pictures before family left:









No comments:
Post a Comment