Sunday, October 7, 2018

Conference Weekend!!!

Wow, what a great General Conference weekend this has been!!  But let me start at the beginning of the week.

I reported that on Monday Sandy went in for her immunotherapy appointment, but had a reaction to the drug so they stopped the treatment.  I brought her home and she was mostly washed out.  But, we did go to empty nesters that evening which was held at a local park; the hosts cooked up some great hamburgers.  I made some 5 bean salad to take.  She lasted up until the end.

We had a renter move out over the weekend (they were able to purchase a home) and I went over on Tuesday to pressure wash the exterior.  White vinyl siding, especially on the north facing side, needs a thorough cleaning about every year.  I returned on Tuesday to clear out part of the jungle that was growing around the house.  Fortunately, there was no interior work needed.  Just as well, because the property manager has been doing a great job of finding renters that are ready to move in as soon as the previous tenant is out.  We haven't had anything sit empty for more than a couple of days in the past year.  This is interesting since in the last 18 months, a 60 place apartment building opened up, a new set of 4plexes  just opened and more housing is being build in the local area.

Wednesday, Sandy had a followup appointment with the surgeon just to see how she was doing; he didn't even check out her wounds.  Of course that would have involved the removal of the ostomy bag.  From there we drove to the wound center so they could remove the bag, check her out and install a new bag.  That process requires about 90 minutes.

I was looking forward to going to bed early that night, when Sandy mentioned about 7:30 that her bag was leaking.  Wait a minute, didn't the nurse just attach that one a couple of hours ago??!  Yes, and it was leaking.  Home Health was called, and since the nurse was with another patient, she did not arrive until 9pm.

I did clean out a drawer of the dresser in the bedroom that Sandy uses for bag changes and then organized all the various medical supplies that are used in the bag replacement process.

Late Thursday evening, Miranda and her family arrived to spend the weekend with us.  On Friday, I got Dan's help in cutting the trees that line the drive; FedEx will appreciate that.  I drove the tractor and Dan was in the bucket with the chain saw.  And his boys helped haul the cut limbs to the burn pile. In the afternoon, Miranda went with me as we took the sister missionaries to visit a couple of home bound members.  Good visits.

Saturday, we invited the sisters to join us for breakfast and they offered to made crepes for us.  And they did.  Andy they were most tasty.  I was able to get most of the yard mowed in time to watch the morning session of conference.  The children were well behaved.  Great wisdom and council was shared as well as the change of meetings starting in January.  Miranda and Dan made 7 layer dip which we consumed. The sisters left after the boys and I washed their vehicle.  We were able to view the next two sessions of conference.  Again, I was looking forward to reasonable bedtime.  However, Sandy had other ideas.  Her bag was ready to leak; this time the nurse arrived quicker, but it was 11 pm before she left.  That gave us other 3 adults time to play a round of 5 Crowns.

We are discovering that the ostomy bag removal/installation ability varies with the different nurses.  Last night's had never changed one before.  Fortunately, they are willing to listen when Sandy makes suggestions.  The bag that functioned properly the longest, was installed by a nurse with 8 years experience with ostomy bags.  And, sometimes they don't bring all the proper supplies with them; fortunately we have always had extras.  The other problem is that they are using up their supply of what I call 'two piece' bags; the wax ring gets glued to the skin and then the bag snaps on.  Automotively speaking, it reminds me of a slip ring. It is around that ring that she has been leaking the last two times.  The one piece bag would alleviate that problem.  Meanwhile, I tell people that Sandy is wearing a two piece.

Sunday, the sisters returned and Miranda made dutch baby for breakfast and we enjoyed another powerful session of conference.  Some scenes of today's activities:









 After, the sisters went their way and Miranda's family got out the door before 3 pm.  So Sandy and I had a more peaceful viewing of the last session of conference.

I should mention that due to the nature of Dan's counseling work for the Church, he does training with the missionaries and is well known by them.

It was exciting to hear of the new shortened 2 hour meeting schedule announced starting in January and to be able to hear of the 12 new temples to be built.  I thought it a little sad that of all the things President Nelson could address in his Sunday remarks, he spent 10-15 minutes reviewing why we need to call the Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But I liked what he said!!  I look forward to reviewing these talks to glean the things I need to learn and apply; my head is stuffed right now.

We look forward to the arrival of Sally tomorrow evening.   Hope all of you have a great week!
love,
Sandy and Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment