We all seemed to have survived the bug. Tom is back to working his
normal schedule. Nathan has been
sleeping more, but I think he's mostly past the sickness.
Monday Tom and I
drove to Hollister and then on to Springfield looking for flooring and other
goodies for the new house. Hollister has a new Menards store. Tom had gone to
one in Iowa and was impressed. It's like Home Depot but somehow feels more
upscale with more variety. we found cement-board for the tile floor and tiles
for the entry way and the kitchen, dining room, and laundry room. We also
looked at exterior and interior doors and got two exterior ones for the garage
and back door.
We looked at
Menards and at a hardware store in Harrison, and then drove to the ReStore in
Springfield. They had a TON of doors, but not what we were looking for. They
only had a small selection of tile. Some might have been nice, but there
weren't enough of them. So we just bought a few bits of things at the ReStore
and headed back to Menards for the things that we had liked. It pretty much
filled the back end of the truck!
We wanted to stop
at Aldi's for some groceries on the way home, which we did. But we were rushed.
The Empty Nester's Family Home Evening was that night and we said we'd be
there. But we could see we would not be on time. We also had to make sure the
tile grout and bagged tile cement were out of the elements as rain was forecasted.
So we raced home, backed the truck (mostly) into the garage, grabbed and
wrapped our gift exchange items and the fudge Tom had fixed the night before
and raced off. Tom thought the food would be all gone by 6:30 (1/2 hour late)
but there was still food and they were just getting ready for singing Christmas
carols. One sister brought chimes so 18 of us got to "chime" in
during the songs. Then we enjoyed the gift exchange.
After we got home,
we changed, drove the truck over to the new house and unloaded a gazillion
pounds of tile, backer board and doors. It seemed like that set the tone for
the race through the rest of the week.
Oh, we'd been
watching Barb's dogs while she went to a show on Saturday and Sunday. When I
went over to feed them Sunday evening, two were missing. So Barb came home that
night to two fewer dogs. She, of course was distraught. I was less so as those
silly dogs kept jumping the fence and getting out. And they were such a worry
to her. It was dark and so I didn't go look. Monday I was gone. Tuesday I
walked around our back pasture looking for them. Barb put up notices, notified
the humane society, put it on the radio... and Wednesday someone called about
two dogs sleeping in a ditch about 3 miles from us. I think they went too far
and couldn't find their way back. But the nights had been below freezing, so I
expect they were cold.
Tuesday I
continued my massive editing jobs. I finished one book Wednesday and send it to
Deborah. She worked on it for the next three days. Sad note. She edited through
chapter 4 on Thursday. Then on Friday she could not find a trace of it on her
computer. Not even the original download for the book! Poor dear. It was back
to re-editing. We used Dropbox from then on. I've put in about 25 hours since I
started these projects and I probably have the same amount to go by Tuesday Dec
22 when they are due.
Wednesday a
friend's husband died. He had been bed-ridden for the last months. Tom did the
funeral on Saturday and I lead the music.
Tom has been busy
doing bishop things-- like funeral prep, tithing settlement, visiting sick
members in the hospital, and meeting with members needing help. In between,
he's been working on the new house. He gutted the bathroom-- at least the tub
area. He fixed the bay window. Progress is happening, but slower that what he'd
like. I went over Saturday for a little bit to help him with both of those
projects. We put drywall up in the bath ceiling where he took out the old
dropped ceiling.
I was asked to
sing in a trio on the 18th so I got the music and practiced some on that.
Friday night was our ward Christmas dinner. I had volunteered to help serve and
to bring two pies and 4 dozen rolls. Our poor RS president was stressed about
the dinner and I wanted to help her. Tom went in a bit early and called to ask
me to come in and help with prep. They actually had things pretty well under
control, but I did spend about 1/2 hour stirring gravy to try to bring it to a
boil. the pot was very large, and I don't think it sat on the burner very well.
It was a lovely evening.
We decorated the
house in dribs and drabs. That is, one day we got out all the decorations. One
day we put up the tree. One day we put out nutcrackers and other non-tree
decorations. The tree got lights. And finally yesterday, I put garland and
ornaments on the tree. I was tired of all the clutter of stuff all over! Tom
still plans to do outside lights....
I suppose that's a
bit like my Christmas shopping. A bit here and a bit there and I really don't
know if I have everything or not. sigh. Remind me next year not to take on two
big projects just before Christmas. It's a good thing the books are
interesting.
Today... I had a
hard time staying awake today, even though the talks were good. We had a great
Relief Society lesson on teaching using example, the scriptures, the Holy
Spirit and love of the students to change hearts. Tom had bishop's youth
discussion at our home after church. He offered them brownies, ice cream,
grapes and bananas. The locusts took over... there was nothing left.
No comments:
Post a Comment