This seemed to be our week to be socially engaged. On Monday
we sponsored the Empty Nesters Family Home Evening (FHE). We’d grown too large
to hold it in a house… at least not our house. And we have a sister in a wheel
chair, so the steps are a problem.
We got permission from the Stake President to hold the FHE
at church. So Tom went over early to set up. We collected table cloths, napkins
and paper plates. And set up more comfortable chairs. We had a nice turn out
and a fairly well balanced pot-luck. We asked each person to tell about one
lesson they’d learned from a General Conference talk, and I think that went
well, too.
Tuesday Tom went down to the Calico Prison to talk to an
inmate. We get regular letters now from some of them. Our first contact, John,
is now out on parole and doing very well. Occasionally he’ll call and let us
know how he’s doing. It’s got to be tough getting out of prison and trying to
re-enter the real world. If you’re a sex offender or robber… who will trust
you?
Some of the people in prison just bide their time and don’t
learn and change. But some use the time to improve their lives and change their
ways. Of course the proof is: Can they stick with the changes when they get
out? Most of them don’t want to go back to the environment that got them in
trouble in the first place.
Tuesday was Election Day. We’d voted early. It was nice. Then
we could stop listening to the news! I find it interesting that the polls could
be so wrong. Are they biased? Do they intend to influence opinion rather than
just report it? In any case, Donald Trump will be our new president. I heard
his transition team had someone black, someone gay and a woman. So I hope that
he will be more inclusive than his campaign rhetoric seemed to indicate.
With the unhappiness about the Electoral College vote vs.
the popular vote, it’s interesting to remember that Mitt Romney won the popular
vote last time. But I still favor the Electoral College. It gives the
mid-section of the country a little more control over the outcome. I remember
when California changed the way it elected its representatives and suddenly
northern California had no voice. I really don’t want to be ruled by California
and New York.
Wednesday I worked on a website and finally submitted some
samples to clients I’d met at bootcamp. Tom has finished up work at the duplex
and at Deborah’s house. He worked some on preparing the garage at Rebecca’s
house to receive a cement floor. That will happen next week.
Thursday our Elder missionaries left and for the first time
in years we got Sister Missionaries in. We are delighted… but we’re not quite
sure what to do with them. We need to figure out a way to get sisters to go out
with them. What are the rules when they teach a single man? It will be a
learning experience. We had them over for dinner on Thursday before Tom left to
go home teaching. They had not even been to their apartment. We were a little
concerned that the elders might have left them with no food, so we gave them
some supplies. But the elders were good and they had enough to eat until
preparation day on Monday.
I don’t know what I did on Friday. Writing, I assume. I’ve
been wanting to get out into the garden, but have not. Now it’s finally getting
cold. They predicted a cold snap and a freeze Saturday night, so I picked all
the green cherry tomatoes… then it didn’t freeze.
We also had all these hot pepper plants loaded with peppers
that we had no use for. I don’t know why we planted one… let alone six of them!
But I had an idea. I tossed some peppers into the chicken cage and the next day
they were gone. So Saturday I pulled up a jalapeno plant by the roots and
tossed the whole thing into the chicken coop— tomato cage around it and all. The
chickens had a grand time eating the leaves and a good percentage of the
peppers. I wonder what their eggs will taste like! Since it didn’t frost, I’ll
try tossing in one every other day or so and at least something will enjoy this
part of the harvest.
Saturday Tom other youth leaders and the youth went out to
do a morning of service. They raked leaves, cleaned gutters, moved dog houses
and I’m not sure what else. They seemed to have a good time.
I went to the funeral of my hair dresser’s husband at 10am.
I didn’t know him, but she is a sweetheart and he’s been ailing for a number of
years. At 2pm Tom went to a funeral of a church member in West Plains. He’d
been the trail boss (on horseback) for our pioneer trek two summers ago. Just a
great man! Died of a massive heart attack with his boots on. A shock, but
probably as he’d want to go out. It makes you stop and think what kind of
legacy are we leaving behind? What will people say about us at our funerals?
Saturday evening we invited a young couple over for dinner. Tom
wanted to meet with them and interview them and connecting with them had been
hard. But food? Ah, that gets results. So we enjoyed dinner and then I went to
my office to try to figure out how to connect my computer with our new printer,
and Tom did his Bishop thing.
In mid-summer Tom and
I had changed life insurance policies. We actually started in April… but things
work slowly and it was June or July before we finally got them in place and
paid the annual premium. I was surprised then to get another bill for a hefty
chunk of change for the renewal in November. What? Must be a mistake. After
going back and forth with the insurance company and my agent… it turns out it
was a mistake in that because they listed my age as 65, the policy was back
dated. Since I signed the document… of course I read it all… I accepted
responsibility. And it was past the 90 days to make changes. The insurance
company should have let us know it was back-dated… but they didn’t. The agent
should have caught the mistake… but she didn’t. And I didn’t. And the bottom
line was that the agent could not in any way make up the difference from her
share of the policy premium— it’s illegal. The only upside is that my policy
will now have considerably more cash value at a faster rate than it would have.
But we had to scrounge for the premium. Blah!
Nathan now is working at both Papa Johns and at TJ Max. He’s
not getting a lot of hours from either of them, so he is still job hunting. He’s
doing some studying and a lot of talking with Madalyn. I guess Madalyn’s
parents are now aware that they want to get married this summer… and haven’t totally
freaked out about it.
As a side note- Gray kitty aka Zane, has become more friendly. He wants to be petted on his terms, but that's getting more frequent. You can actually go up to him and pet him most of the time. Good thing. He'd due to be neutered on Wednesday. I wonder if he'll let us get close to him after that.
As a side note- Gray kitty aka Zane, has become more friendly. He wants to be petted on his terms, but that's getting more frequent. You can actually go up to him and pet him most of the time. Good thing. He'd due to be neutered on Wednesday. I wonder if he'll let us get close to him after that.
No comments:
Post a Comment