Sunday, September 11, 2016

Home again, home again jiggity jig

I had a great time at Mom’s. I was sorry to leave, but happy to get back to my sweetie and my home… even though it took some time.

Monday I tried to wrap up things and pack. Cynthia and I went out to lunch at a nice outdoor place at a golf course. The food was nice, it wasn’t crowded, so we could sit and visit. I have a great sister!

That evening we went to Shakespeare in the Patio. The Old Pro group put on select scenes from a number of plays and threw in a few sonnets as well. Laguna Woods is a fairly popular retirement option for people from Hollywood, so these were seasoned performers. It was delightful to have them wander around the patio while we ate a light supper of salads and a sub sandwich from one of Mom’s favorite haunts.



Tuesday Cynthia and Jim drove me to the airport. I had a flight to Phoenix, then on to Tulsa. We got on the Phoenix flight and it started away from the gate. Then pivoted and returned to the gate. Something smelled hot. So we offloaded and went to another gate. Soon a plane was there and we boarded. But before we left the gate… they had some problems with an igniter. That needed to be switched out. Good thing I put an extra book in my carry-on. I was able to finish one and start another.

We were not more than 3 hours late getting to Tulsa. I’ve been working with a new technology called Predictive Aviation Analytics. It uses the data from the sensor on the plane and the black box to predict potential part failures before they fail. So it’s likely that with this technology, the data would have detected an anomaly a flight or two before it manifested itself to the pilots. I heard that each minute of delay costs the airline $10,000. So this was one pricy delay. And they sent a $100 voucher to me, which was nice. Also offered free alcoholic drinks on the flight… which didn’t do anything for me.

Miranda picked me up and I spent the night at her house. After Camden left for school, we drove to Jonathan and Kristy’s where Tom met us. They gave us a great lunch and then we headed home. It was so nice to get to see so many kids and grandkids… even if for a short time.
I guess that compensates for taking nearly two full days to get home.

Thursday and Friday I did some writing work. I also looked at paint and flooring for the house we are buying. Thanks to Cynthia, I checked again on the Life Tenancy of the widow. Apparently that may not have been totally, legally resolved. And I don’t want it just “over-insured” by the title company. When we go to sell it, the buyer may not accept that. I’d just as soon the current owner pay for the quiet claim now instead of us paying for it later on. So it may delay the closing.

I also spent time preparing for my Saturday training. This was the stake Relief Society leadership training. I’d written a short skit and had to gather materials for that. And I made chicken salad for 30 people. And I organized the lesson—really a discussion—so that was not too hard.

The training went well, I think. My counselor and secretary were a big help. One of my counselors is in Nevada for 4 months… so that made things just a bit tougher. (Otherwise, I would have pawned the food off on her!)

Tom went to the training, too. That was nice. We got to talk on the hour drive up and back. Then we had a short break and we went to the Ward pot luck dinner and talent show. It was long on good food… and short on talent show. So all in all, a good evening.

Today our choir sang in Sacrament meeting. We sang “Come Thou Font of Every Blessing.” It’s a beautiful hymn. It was a delight to hear from two younger people coming back into activity and to see a newly baptized young man pass the sacrament. Another friend reported successful breast cancer surgery, and another shared how the “Rock Solid” program is helping her Parkinson’s disease. Good things. Sad things—some people missing that I hoped would be at church.

We had a good lesson on families. One comment was about how the Lord trusts sacred things to the young and inexperienced. Sacrament is the most important part of the meeting… and 12-18 year olds are in charge of it. Missionary work is essential… and mostly it’s inexperienced18 and 19 year olds sharing the message. And babies are children of God… and he sends them to young, inexperienced parents.


Part of the message was that of course we will make mistakes, goof up, and be imperfect. It’s okay. It’s part of God’s plan. Good to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment