This week we had the changing of the chicken guard. The old hens got relegated to the chicken tractor, Tom power-washed the chicken coop, and then the medium sized chicks got moved to the Taj-Mah-Cluck. It was not a smooth transaction.
The old hens did not want to vacate their comfortable home for older cramped quarters. They are disgruntled having to jump into the nesting area and then out the door to wander. In fact, some of them refuse to do it. Then they wander, all confused, while the other hens are roaming free. Several figured out a way to get into a closed pen. Tom was a doubter until he found one inside.
They have decided it's okay to lay eggs there. But they continue to hover near the door to the Taj-Mah-Cluck in case it just happens to open up again.
In the mean time, the smaller chicks had their metal tank surroundings suddenly give way to a vast open space (relatively speaking) which required huddling in corners for a while... just to be safe. They aren't called chicken for nothing. We were a little concerned about greater fluctuation in temperature. We still have a heat lamp there. But it can only heat the small area under it. However, the chicks seem to draw near or far from the light as needed to be comfortable.
One afternoon when the weather was warm, I opened the door to the outer portion of the coop. They eyed it... but there were no takers. Perhaps tomorrow...
Monday evening we went to our Empty Nester's Family Home evening. It was a hotdog roast and pot luck salad, held outside. The day had been pleasant, but boy, in the evening, it got CHILLY! Still it was nice to be around friends.
Tom had a lovely list of things he planned to do for the week. Then on Monday he drove by one of the rental homes to find it was vacant. Suddenly his week took a different turn. He was over there mowing on Monday and Tuesday and cleaning up and helping the cleaning person get to work. I think he did finally get most everything done. The yard is neatly mowed, The fountain has been re-sealed and is bubbling nicely. We got the chickens moved and worked in the garden.
I got broccoli to plant. Tom bought some rhubarb and some more asparagus roots to plant. Some of our peppers are struggling, but our peas are looking luxurious. I've had a bumper crop of spinach this year. I wish I knew what the second kind of spinach I planted was. It didn't bolt nearly as quickly. I've been having spinach salad and giving it away. Today I tried a fruit smoothie with spinach and it was not bad. Yesterday I picked bunches and chopped and froze some. I still have a lot... and lettuce that is getting big.
My writing keeps going. I have an interview Monday about writing some testimonials. My video script man want the scripts identical to the way HE would write them... so that's continuing to be a learning curve. I think there will be a little break there as they move on to production of these videos.
Friday Tom took me out for a Mother's Day dinner. We went to Coltons and I ordered bbq ribs. We got a free appetizer of potato skins, and I enjoyed the rolls. So I was able to take home a good part of the dinner and enjoy it again on Saturday evening.
Saturday Tom went to the temple with some of the new converts. They were so excited and had a wonderful time doing baptisms. Today one of the spoke in church. She said she'd never been happy or liked herself. When she joined the church she had a hard time recognizing she was a daughter of God. Now she says she feels loved. She feels her divine potential. She has come to know she IS a daughter of God and for the first time, she's happy being who she is.
Happy Mother's Day to all the women. You are awesome!

No comments:
Post a Comment