Sunday, December 21, 2014

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Tom and Deborah had an uneventful and blessed trip across the country.  The kids were good.  The roads were good.  The weather was a bit overcast but not a lot of rain and no snow.  Drivers stayed alert and attentive.  Miracles abounded.  Here are some pictures documenting the trip:







They spent Sunday night at Miranda and Dan's than traveled to Springdale.  Three sets of missionaries plus one elders quorum member helped them unload the truck in less than 2 hours.  They picked up applications for school for the kids, went and visited the house, and arrived home about 7:30 Monday night.

The kids have settled in well.  They love the game closet.  Somehow Monopoly-- single player-- is a hit with Steven.  Calvin and Hobbs comic books are popular along with play dough, painting, coloring, and giggling and running through the house.  It's been nice enough that they've played outside a few times.  Christopher is enamored with the chickens.

I spent some intensive time working on my most recent assignment from Newsmax. I finished the first draft and sent it to a fellow copywriting friend to critique.  Again, she gave great insight.  This time I paid her for her time.  It's a win-win for both of us.  I appreciate her insight and have more confidence in sending it off.  Since the editor will be out of the office until January 5th, I also, will be able to take a vacation.  At least from that.

It does seem to take a little more time to do things with little children around.  But we're having fun. Tom has been doing Bishop stuff all week. Tuesday and Thursday were tithing settlement evenings. Wednesday the youth went caroling and then he had his normal bishopric meeting.  Friday the Primary had their worker appreciation dinner and invited Tom and I to attend.  It was tasty and after diner they had people share about their favorite sharing time or lesson.  We had some touching stories about special lessons and times the kids "got it."

I had been wanting to put Roger into the stew pot.  Of the 5 chicks that hatched and grew up this year, three are roosters.  Bah!  So I now have 4 roosters-- who just eat.  Roger has managed to denude one of the chicken's backs with his activities.  He crows incessantly, and last summer he was getting a little aggressive with Rebecca's kids.  So he needed to go.  I also wanted to reduce the other rooster population.

The only way to snatch them is early morning or late at night when they are roosting.  So after the primary dinner, we went into the coop and picked up Roger, then the black rooster.  Killing them was easier than I'd remembered.  And defeathering-- a bit of a bother, but not bad.  But butchering... now I know what they mean when they talk about a "tough old bird."  Roger had thick skin, tough muscles and was really hard to work with. The young rooster was a breeze by comparison.   I pressure cooked the young one and his meat was tender.  Chicken keepers on Google suggested letting the old rooster rest in the frig for 2-5 days to soften before pressure cooking.  So, while I'd like the frig space for defrosting the turkey, it's sharing space with Roger right now.

The hen house has been much quieter.  I think the younger roosters don't know they are allowed to crow yet.

I finally got a Christmas letter written and sent out. It was short.  I just wrote about the changes in the family-- graduates, moves, etc. After I sent it out, Tom reminded me that I'd not made mention of Miranda at all.  My excuse? They weren't moving or graduating from high school or dental school.  Sigh.  Sorry Miranda.  We love you and your family. Honestly!

Today we had our Christmas program at church.  There was a wonderful narration of the Christmas story and much singing.  It all sounded lovely.  The choir performed the First Noel with a Pachaelbel Canon accompaniment on piano and organ. It was quite nice.  Then we had an organ rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus for the finale.  Since I was in the choir loft next to the organ, I got to watch the footwork.  Impressive.

There has been much wrapping behind closed doors here.  I think Christmas is on it's way.  Hope it's a joyous time for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment