Sunday, July 6, 2014

Blog, Blog, Blah

It's time for a weekly update and frankly nothing exciting seems to be going on.  Maybe that's because the children and grandchildren all left and it's just the two of us again.

Tuesday we decided to go to Silver Dollar City.  We hadn't been for a while and if you go to 4 of their celebrations you get a special Christmas ornament at Christmas time. This was their Red, White and Blue Summer Celebration. This event is scheduled for several weeks, much longer than their previous "Kid Fest," but it was fun.  We saw a magician-- complete with floating body and cutting people in half.  Very fascinating!  Then we saw a show where Olympic contestants and hopefuls demonstrated their abilities. A lot of it was done on trampolines and quite impressive.  This group has their training camp in Park City, UT.

We completed the day with a trip to the mall for  tools, clothes, and Harry and David.  Then we stopped at Andy's Frozen Custard for dinner (ice cream) and Aldis for grocery shopping.  A nice day.

We needed to reclaim the garden. We'd kind of neglected it when we had busy family here.  So Tom and I spend several hours most days-- not necessarily at the same time-- pulling weeds.  It now looks like a garden again.  The cucumbers are blooming.  The sunflowers are taller than I am.  I planted some corn.  And we pulled all the onions.  Some of the onions are mushy.  Perhaps we had too much water.  It was a wet June.

Tom and I had waged a battle against the worms on the broccoli and brusselsprouts. We went out and picked morning and evening.  Nothing seemed to stop the little critters.  We read up on solutions and tried some of them.  Finally we succumbed to Seven-- a pesticide.  Bingo!  No worms.  Oh the joy!  The worms stayed away for about a month.  Yesterday I discovered they were back to munching.  No more fooling around.  I dusted with Seven again.

I also saw that the brusselsprouts were ripe on the bottom of the plants.  So now we have a plethora of brussel sprouts to eat.  And we are still enjoying fresh broccoli.

Rebecca's tenant moved out and Tom has been busy painting and fixing at her house. He painted the living room walls and trim and it gussied it up a bit.  She had odd painting done in the kitchen-- Kind of two tone.  It hid a multitude of dirt and blemishes, but none of the patching exactly matched.  So we bought some paint and it looks fresh and more modern now.

Tom's been mowing properties. Some days he comes home pretty tuckered out.  We finally got the last of our houses rented.  Then we learned the lower Midway Duplex tenant will be moving out.  Bummer.  And soon we'll close on a new house to renovate.  What was I thinking?

Tom and I are going to be Ma and Pa on a pioneer trek. As I was doing interval training, I hurt my Achilles tendon. I've been oiling it and babying it, but it was still mighty painful last weekend.  I was afraid I might not be able to go on the trek.  But I decided to act in faith and keep on keeping on.  This  week it's been much better-- my own private miracle.  Saturday I mended and altered a pioneer dress to wear. I put pockets into an apron I'd been given.  I still need to put elastic into the waistbands of some pantaloons and a skirt. I went to the thrift store and bought a blouse to go with the skirt. And I think I'll need to make another apron.

We've been collecting tarps and dutch ovens, gloves, bug spray, and other essentials for the trek.  Thus far this summer we've really had quite pleasant weather. It has not been beastly hot and muggy.  Some days it's been a little muggy.  But mornings have been quite pleasant.  I hope this kind of weather will continue into the trek week.

No comments:

Post a Comment