Sunday, May 18, 2014

Finished house renovation

After slaving for two weeks, Tom finished renovating the South College house.

We (read mostly Tom) put down new tile in the kitchen, bath, and laundry room.  That involved taking up the old linoleum, putting down hardi-board, and then the tile, then the grout.  Then sealing the grout.  Tom also painted the living room, hall, bath, kitchen, kitchen cupboards, laundry room, and garage floor.  He dismantled an old shed in the back and did a zillion small things to make the house look attractive.  It really improved things.

I can't leave well enough alone. While he was busy working, I found a house for a mere $39,900.  And it actually seems in pretty good condition.  Tom's not excited about another project.  He has yet to look at it.  So... I don't know.  We'll need to check it out together.

While out house hunting, my agent introduced me to Poke Salat.  It's a spring weed that tastes much like spinach.  It must be boiled and drained to remove some toxins as its a member of the nightshade family.  Then fried with onions and bacon.  (That guarantees a good taste.)  Anyhow, I was a bit apprehensive.  But I cooked up a southern meal of beans, cornbread, and poke salat.  Tom was delighted with the beans and cornbread, anyway.  And he pronounced the poke salat acceptable.

We had 2+ inches of rain this week and things are GROWING!   Tom's mowed the yard a lot and I've been busy weeding the garden.  The chickens have been happily laying 8-10 eggs a day and we have enough people driving up the drive and knocking on the door to buy eggs, that we are kept at a minimum.  I even had to ask for eggs from another family to fulfill some commitments for eggs.

We had primary elections --early voting this week.  So I finally studied the candidates so I could vote properly.  I'm seeing how important it is to vote for judges who have the values I do.  As you may have read, a judge in Polaski county decided one of our constitutional amendments was unconstitutional.  I'm not quite sure how that can be so.  Now it goes to the supreme court of Arkansas to decide.  I feel like people's voices are not considered.  We seem to have less and less control.

It was nice to be in my home ward last Sunday.  This Sunday I was up by 5:15 so I could leave at 6:30 and travel to the Houston Ward Conference.  I got home about 4:30.  Tom had Bishop's Youth Discussion after church today and then went home teaching.

Life is good.  My favorite scripture of the week is from Joshua 1:6 "Be strong and of good courage."

No comments:

Post a Comment