Friday, February 7, 2014

Retreat

This is a different week.  I have wanted for years to go away someplace secluded and just focus on writing for a week.  We have a service that lets us get a timeshare for $199 if it's less than two weeks out.   So I got a studio apartment at Wilderness Lodge near Branson.  It's part of Big Creek which is associated with Bass Pro Shops.

The decor is rustic and comfortable.
View from my window.
Out my window is a little patio and the birds come to visit.  After a few days I decided to encourage them a bit more with cookie crumbs.  They were happy to oblige.


My goal was to see if I could really focus on writing, or if I would find distractions here, too.  It has actually worked surprisingly well.  I brought some leftovers and frozen soup so meals have been easy.  I get up when I wake up.  Alas, it's been really early-- 5:30 or so.  And do my scripture study and then get to work.

I have finished revising all of the chapters I have for the "Living Benefits" Whole Life Insurance book. I also learned that she wants me to to the basic intro to the product book that I had pitched initially.  That was good news.  I wrote my usual blog and article for my executive coach, although he wants to take a montth break from my writing them-- so he can get caught up.

I picked up a job writing a course on finance for 12-14 year olds.  It's been really fun.  The first chapter or class in the course is "What is Money?  I found I could talk about commodity based currency and fiat money on a 4th grade reading level.  I had a good time thinking of white board drawings, charts, graphs and other visual aids to keep it interesting.  I skyped with the client and think we will work well together.

I applied for two other jobs.  I learned about Google hangout and revisited a 4 hour class on option trading ETF's and set up my Think or Swim charts with the correct graphs to predict changes.  I've read the Handbook and pondered what I need to be doing as Relief Society president.  One thing I decided was that I'd better write my blog on Friday or Saturday since Sundays might be kind of busy.

I thought I'd have time for reading and brought lots of books... but I've only opened one of them.
I know  I needed fresh air, so I made sure I went for a walk every day.  It snowed Monday night, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning.  So I walked in the snow the first day.  Then it got pretty cold-- below 20 and down in the single digits at night.  So I walked in the cold.

 I accidentally learned how to walk to Big Cedar lodge...

 and so found the gift store and the ice cream social on Friday.  They have a van that will take you anywhere, and they'll stop and ask if I want a ride as I walk.  But I need to be moving.

I learned my boots keep my feet warm, but eat some of my socks-- pulling them all down to the toe.  My gloves are not warm enough for long term outside use. All this is an evaluation of what I might need to take to Europe with me.  I want to stay warm as we sight see.

I've worked until I'm too tired to do more, then go to bed.  That's been pretty late-- usually about 11 pm.
With all that time, you'd think I could have written a book!  I didn't get as much done as I dreamed I'd accomplish, but I do know I stayed pretty focused.  The TV never came on.

Tomorrow I'll go back home.   It will be good to be home.  I miss my Sweetie.

1 comment:

  1. So pretty there! And it sounds so nice... all alone to focus on your goals. I like it!

    ReplyDelete