Sunday, December 22, 2013

Mom's Here!

 
Our merry Christmas tree and decorations.
 
Last Sunday I drove to Little Rock for a meeting with the two other people involved in this Living Benefits of Dividend Paying Whole Life Insurance book I'm working on.  Mark was just there from New York for 24 hours.  So we worked Sunday afternoon and most all day Monday.

When Becky took Mark to the airport, I stayed behind and started writing some of what we'd discussed.  Then I left about 5 pm to go and get Mom from the airport.  Her flight was just a little delayed.  Counting in a stop for dinner, we got home about 11 pm.  It was a long day.

Most of the snow had melted. It wasn't until we got closer to Mountain Home that we could see some by the edge of the road or on the slant of the hills.  The roads were all clear.

While we were gone, Tom finished painting the ceiling and the new beam.  He also painted most of the family room walls just to freshen them up.  You can see the beam behind the ceiling light.

Tuesday Mom and I listened to a phone call about becoming a private investor and holding a mortgage note on houses that will be flipped.  I'd been following this company for about 3 years and decided to use some of the money from my St. Louis property to test the waters. They pay a 10% annual return paid monthly on an 18 month note. At the end of that time, or if the house sells earlier, you get your principal back.

One of the ward families suddenly got a job in Oregon.  While he's a realtor, their house was not in a condition to sell.  So Tom spent several days over there power washing and fixing things. It seems he's been extra busy doing bishop and service things this week.

Thursday we took the day and went to Crystal Bridges.  It was a pleasant drive and the museum is really lovely.  It's fun to look at all the paintings and sculptures.  Some I'd love to have hanging in my house.  Others... not so much.  I wonder at times what qualifies as great art.

It seemed a longer drive home.  Tom will say that's because we drove all the way through Eureka Springs looking for a restaurant... only to have it be at the other end of the loop (as Tom said it was) and closed for the season.  But we found an okay Chinese place further down the road.

I have done a little writing.  Not as much marketing as I should have. And some learning-- both about writing and about options.

Friday a storm moved into the area.  It was all rain and thunder-- about 2.5 inches over the course of the two days.  We mostly stayed in, but went out for some last minute shopping.  Mom and I have had fun chatting and cooking.  It's a delight to have her here.  I hope she has kept warm.

Sunday we had our Christmas Program.  The music was lovely and the narration heart warming.  While we were sitting on the stand minutes before the program began, the chorister asked if I would lead the congregational hymns.  Sure. Why not?  It felt a bit like Kenya. Be ready for anything. Anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment