Monday morning I finished up some odds and ends. I got the last packing done. At noon, Tom and I headed for Little Rock to put me on the plane to Deborah's.
Tom has been trying to get his tractor up and running. He's tried a lot of different things to get the tractor running smoothly. This last issue is going back to the first one-- a needle valve that keeps clogging. He thought he might be able to get a part in the Little Rock area, but they had to order it. So he just dropped me off and headed back.
Had an uneventful flight and Deborah picked me up. Tuesday I got reacquainted with the grandchildren. Christopher welcomed me... which was nice. I figured, as the youngest, he'd feel the most displaced with the new baby. I learned where the pre-school was and the store. And the things in the kitchen.
Wednesday Deborah and Ian left very early. I got the kids off to school. As I was picking up Samantha at 12:30ish, I got a text from Deborah that she was at 7cm... and opted for an epidural. About 12:40 text: 9 cm. Baby born 1:05. Boy. 7lbs 15.6 oz. And 20 inches long. They named him Simon James Reck.
That afternoon, after the kids got home from school, we drove over to see Deborah, Simon, and Ian. The kids were well behaved. They were happy to see Mom and excited to hold Simon. Each got a turn to hold the baby. Even Christopher got to hold Simon while sitting on Ian's lap. They all looked so cute loving the baby.
We came home, had a quick dinner and off to bed. Thursday was similar-- Ian left early for school. Kids all off to school (except Christopher). I made a quick run to Smith's for apples and almonds, then picked Samantha up at 12:30. Sarah and Steven get home a little before 4 pm. We had dinner. They played like banshees for a bit of the evening. To settle them down, I called Deborah and had them visit with her by phone.
Friday, Samatha had no preschool. But we had "Parents and Pastries" at Sarah and Steven's school. So we all walked over about 8am. We read books together until 8:30 or so. Then we went into the cafeteria where we had donuts and milk. Then Sarah and Steven went off to choral practice and we walked back home. I love it that the church is across the street and the elementary school is a block away. It makes it so convenient!
The kids just had a half day on Friday. Shortly after they got home, Deborah came home with baby Simon. He is a cute thing. He often opens his eyes and just looks around. You can tell he's trying to figure things out.
Saturday the kids and I cleaned house-- or at least picked up and dust mopped. Sarah changed the sheets on the beds. I did laundry. It's been a bit cold-- ice in the puddles. But it warmed up and the kids played outside on Saturday. We ordered Pizza for lunch. Deborah had a coupon about to expire for a free one. It was tasty.
Shortly before dinner, Ian's Mom Deb and her exchange student Simone arrived from Portland. She'd had the car checked out before she left-- tires off, brakes checked. Just as the came into town, the car started acting poorly. Ian went to check the car and found only two bolts holding one tire on. Two of the pins had also broken off. Ian will take the car in Monday. Eryn, Ian's sister came over to rescue them and take them to her house (where they'd planned to go.)
We practiced the "loaves and fishes" and invited them to dinner. All ate and there was still leftovers. Then it was Saturday baths and bed.
Saturday night, Simon seemed to be awake more than he was asleep. We went off to church and let Deborah and Simon sleep. Apparently he's a good sleeper during the day. When we came home from church, she fed him and then they both slept again. The kids played with dominoes and other games while I wrote to missionaries.
Now it's time to fix dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment